Laszlo's deck rigging idea

Laszlo, your "double-ended webbing loop" idea (posted 01-01) for deck rigging seems functional, very strong and attractive. I plan to impliment this method on my Shearwater 17. Did you sew or melt your webbing? Or did use some other method to attach the ends?

elChucko

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Laszlo's deck rigging idea

Hey Chucko,

The nylon webbing was folded in half, the open ends were sewn together (straight stitch), then another seam was run just far enough in towards the open end to slip the dowel in between the seams. My wife did the sewing, running each tab twice through her sewing machine. The dowels were cut with a bonsai saw (though any sharp tool would work) and sharpened with a pencil sharpener.

They've worked really well for me. Hope they wrok out for your Shearwater.

Laszlo

Building a Wood Duck 12

(click on pictures for larger view)

Do you have any problems with the straps wicking water to the inside?

Kev

That looks good Lazlo. I followed along your blog but didn't see a finished shot of your deck rigging. Do you have one to post?

It's not completely watertight, but it's a very slow leak. In calm water there's no leak at all. In a small craft advisory there was a bunch, but at least as much came in throughthe spray skirt. I didn't consider it a problemj. As Kurt Maurer says, kayaking is a watersport.

No pictures handy. What specifically do you want to see?

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo,

I’m still a little reluctant to cut into the boat, your rigging sure looks nice and neat though. Did you run perimeter lines? If so, how did you terminate the ends? I’m trying to avoid knots by the cockpit. Or did you run them all the way around the boat?

~C~

Hi Laszlo - 

Have read your blog many times and it's incredibly inspiring and helpful.  I like the way you did the webbing for the deck rigging and think it's by far the cleanest look plus strong and sturdy.  I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Understand how you cut the slits - exacto kniffe and sandpaper on butter knife.  I assume you put epoxy inside the slit but how?  Did you make the slit bigger first and then cut into the hardened epoxy.  Doesn't appear to be the case from the pic above and basd on approach (exacto knife and sandpaper) that wouldn't be possible.
  2. How did you knot the bugee?  Did you tie a knot connecting the ends on top of the deck or did you do something clever underneath the deck with the ends?  Knowing how you hate to untie knots, I'm assuming you connected both through a knot on top and then are able to remove the whole assembly by pulling out the dowels underneath.
  3. I'm assuming slits were cut after glass and epoxy but before varnish?

Thanks ahead of time and apologies if the questions have already been answer and I missed them.

WA

Hi WA,

Thanks for the kind words.

1. Getting epoxy into the slit was easy with a foam brush. The raw wood really wants to suck in the first coat. Following coats are just dabbed in. A slit big enough for the webbing is plenty wide for a foam brush tip. Just be careful and catch any drips before they turn into a sanding problem.

2. Knot on top and yes, I can remove the whole thing without untying the knot. Just pull the dowels from the loops, the loops from the slits and off it comes. I did that earlier this year to revarnish the boat. Putting it on again was just a matter of getting the cord untwisted, the loops back into the slits and the dowels back into the loops.

3. Yes, but they can also be cut after the varnish if done with care.

Finally, the answer may be stale after 6 1/2 years (amazing how these threads come back) but I have no perimeter lines. I missed that question back then.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.