Paddles for SUP

I have ordered the kit to build the Koholo SUP.  Would appreciate any comments about paddles.  Should I spend $200+ for a paddle ?

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paddles for SUP

You're building the board, why not build a paddle to go with it?  It's easy to do, you can have a "perfect fit," and it will look great.

FrankP

Yep, I started with a $180 fibreglass paddle then made a greenland stick for about $20. I always use the greenland stick now. It sings while you pull it through the water.

Thanks for your suggestions. I really like the idea of making my own paddle.

Did you use plans, a kit or just your own imagination? 

rabbit, a google search for "greenland paddle making" should yield quite a few sets of "plans" and methods of construction.  I usually build mine from cedar 2x4s or similarly sized layups of woods that I like.

FrankP

Whiskeyjack Paddles in Duluth MN., makes some stunning paddles.  They have one nice clip on Youtube that interviews the owner and shows some of his work. Also show some nice hints on how he does what he does. If you opt to buy in lieu of building, check his paddles out they are gorgeous.

As others suggest, I think building is entirely possible. Finding the wood is pleasant and building, as you already know, is over the top.

Thankyou  Frank and Jeff for your suggestions.  I am nearly finished a paddle that I am making out of poplar - I have used poplar for furniture in the past and have found that it is easy to shape and finish. I will be curious to see how well it does.

I have also been looking at web sites about greenland paddles and will probably try to adapt one for stand-up use (retired guys have time to fool around a lot).

I have also looked at the Whiskeyjack web site.  The paddles look great - my maiden attempt is nowhere near as fine.

Anyway, I still have to build the boat !

Thanks again

Gary 

Tulip-poplar is great stuff--available, cheap, knot-free, easy to work, pretty to some. Just remember that it has very poor rot-resistance.  Keep that paddle fully encased in plastic at all times--epoxy, polyurethane, whatever.

Revensdale, you use a Greenland paddle on your Koholo? I like that idea! I am ~ 5' 6" and planning to build the 12'6" Koholo. What Greenland-style paddle dimensions do you suggest for this combination? Thanks! Wil.

Carbon fiber paddles are lighter and stiffer than virtually anthing else. 

Michael

I spent the cash on the paddle from CLC - mixture of beautiful wood work with  carbon shaft.   It is beautiful but not cheap.   It is also adjustable to cover a wide array of paddler heights.    I figured that saved me building or buying multipule paddles as I know my wife and kids and cottage guests will all want to try it out.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.