CLC plywood thickness

I am new to building anything and I was watching the videos on assembling the teardrop. What is the thickness of the plywood? It seems a little thin and could be damaged during the build by all thumbs like myself.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: CLC plywood thickness

It varies from 4 to 18 mm http://www.clcboats.com/shop/kit_options/clc-teardrop-trailer/1771.html?category_qn=recreational-vehicles&subcat_qn=&code=clc-teardrop-trailer

and is tougher than you think. Epoxy makes repairs easy and worst case you can order a replacement piece, but I'll bet you won't need to.

Laszlo

There's a separate forum for the teardrop. If you look right about the search box on the main forum page you'll see the link below the forum description. It's fairly new and looks very different from this forum.

But if you want to also hang around here we're glad to have you.  

The only way you could really damage 1/4" ply is to drop it.  Because it's made from at least 5 ply, it's really strong in all directions.  For example, I wouldn't punch a sheet of it.  When you add fiberglass on top of that, it's even stronger.  Also, the mold does a great job of protecting the shell while you're building it.  It's designed to roll around to you can get to all sides until you're ready to glass it in.

With all of the documentation you get with the teardrop, all of the videos you can now find on building one and a company with an excellent forum and customer service, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to build one.  It's just a series of very simple steps.  You tackle each one and move onto the next one, usually while waiting for epoxy to cure.

There's even another current thread that goes over how few actual tools you'll need to build one.  I'm a plans builder, but if you buy a kit, there's even less tools to worry about.

If you have the bug, now's a great time to scratch that itch so you can have it finished for camping this Spring!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.