Passagemaker Plans Build on a Budget

I'm stuck in Surrey, BC as a Caribbean hurricane refugee, so thought I'd build a Passagemaker to be ready for the Spring in the PNW.  I priced marine grade plywood here (used to using Edensaw) and was pleasantly surpised that it's several dollars. cheaper per 48"x96" sheet of "tropical" (hopefully okoume/meranti-like, I'll go see).

My thoughts are to buy as I build to finance my own project (while doing YouTube videos - Midnight Maker/Sailing With Captain Skully) as I go.  With that in mind, my thoughts are to get 3 sheets at first.  This will allow me to get two long sections (8') and two short sections (4') to cut out, precoat, and scarf all of the planks for both sides, when properly nested.

Then I can buy two more sheets once the planks are ready to cut out the bottom panels (8' + 4'), spreading the expense across the time it takes me to get that done.

The third phase would be a couple of sheets for parts ( I like to laminate all my parts from the same 1/4" plywood.  That sometimes leads to parts thicker than spec'd, but I prefer to err on the side of beefier/heavier construction.

Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks...

No replies have been added to this post.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.