spray and bake clear coat

For those that use clearcoat instead of varnish.. have you ever sprayed a boat and then baked it in a autobody paint booth. A friend has offered me the use of his booth since it it getting colder here in the midwest. I don't see any reason why I couldn't bake it but it never hurt to ask. Would it do anything to the epoxy was my only concern. I know if it was not totally cured it might.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: spray and bake clear coat

How hot does it get?

Depending on which epoxy you used, how long it gets baked, etc., it could actually help with the cure.

Or it could make your boat fall apart.

We need some numbers.

Laszlo

Does the clear coat product have UV protectant?    

Some folks (i.e. CLC, Waterlust, etc.) have been having an automotive paint shop spray their Teardrop campers with a clearcoat when they're done with the build.  Not sure if they get baked at the shop.  That would be a good question to ask.  I would think it's a safe bet that automotive clear coat has serious UV resistance.

I'm not sure on the temp. I would assume that it could be adjusted. My friend that has the booth did comment "20 minutes later you can take it home." I'm using MAS epoxy so I may get some info from them. I've used a paint stripping gun to take care of an issue that I had with epoxy so I am leary of baking. Also if the epoxy off gasses more with baking it could cause major issue.

I have seen where several builders have used auto clear coat and I used it on my first build. It does have excellent UV protection and doesn't change the color of the boat. You can also add metal flake for the metallic look. One down fall is the it really needs to be sprayed and it does stink. Luckily I have a half mask filter from work.

I checked MAS's web site and they list a temp of 140 on their curing time table. Baking is probably going to be a safe bet. If anyone has first hand experience or some other input, feel free to post.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.