Another Shearwater Sport Sectional . . . on the water!

I'm still planning to wet sand my Shearwater Sport Sectional and give it a finish coat of varnish (or two), but I'm happy enough with the early coats of varnish to let that wait until spring. Here are a couple of pictures of the boat:

At first I put on the deck bungies, but I now think I'll never need them. The holes are still there but filled with dowel plugs -- easy enough to open up again if needed.

Before building this kayak, I was very curious about how long it takes to bolt the sections together before use and how long to break it down again afterwards. My times will probably improve with practice, but right now it's about 7 minutes and 3 minutes respectively. It might be a little quicker to sling a one-piece kayak on top of a car and strap it down -- but not by much, and it's comforting to transport such a lovely kayak inside of an SUV.

On the water, of course, it's a joy. Paddling is nearly effortless at 3.5 - 4 mph. By the way, you can just make out in the pictures the foam backrest I made to increase my comfort. A backband alone is not sufficient for my old bones!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Another Shearwater Sport Sectional . . . on the water!

I have varnish envy...

Hooper

RE: Another Shearwater Sport Sectional . . . on the water!

Nice job!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.