graying wood under varnish

I'm restoring a Chesapeake 16.  There's a few places between the paint and the varnish on the deck that have gray "stains" under the varnish.  I have removed the varnish with a citrus paint and varnish remover but the graying in the wood grain remains.  Is there a way to remove this graying in the wood so that we can revarnish the deck?

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: graying wood under varnish

These small, isolated areas or do they affect larger areas? There’s no signs of epoxy having been used under paint or varnish?

This is plywood? So careful sanding isn’t possible to try to remove the grey areas?

Typically what you describe is from water having gotten to the wood somehow, so my guess is there’s no epoxy there.

Teakwood and red cedar both respond well to oxalic acid wood ‘brightener’ (bleach basically) but whether whatever wood species you’re dealing with would also? No idea. And even then the wood thus treated doesn’t look ‘like new’ either.

You might have to settle for using pigmented stain to bring some color back to the affected areas before refinishing. Depending upon how extensive the areas are and where they're located, careful choice and application of stain can do a nice job.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.