silicon question

A friend gave me an old kayak. It is not a whitewater boat but that is how he used it. For the last 40 years it has been in his attic and the abuse and neglect shows. I like its lines, I like the way it paddles, it is only 30 pounds and I want to use the knowledge I gained building my Chesapeake 16 to make it beautiful again.  It is not a wooden boat, it is a composite, plastic/nylon/fiberglass. I believe I have a good restoration plan but he did put a silicon glob on each end of the kayak to act as bumper. I have almost all of the silicon removed, my question is how do I get the remaining thin layer of silicon off the deck and hull. It is a small area, the deck and hull come to a point at each end and the silicon covers about 1.5 inches on each end but I need to get if off so I can reinforce each end with a fiberglass patch. Any ideas?  Thanks. In case you are wondering it was made by Phoenix Products and is a Mendesta. The company's current website is http://www.pokeboat.com/index.html   Mike

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: silicon question

I think I'd try slicing as much as I could off with a razor blade or a sharp knife. Then I'd sand any thin film that remained. Sometimes I can even peel old silicon off with my fingers.   

No solvent I’ve ever encountered will touch cured silicone adhesive/caulk.

I’d cut away as much as possible, carefully using a sharp knife or perhaps a plane blade using a sawing motion... then a cabinet scraper.

Key point to remember is to remove as little of the original surface as you’re able to.

Scraper’s more ‘controllable’ IMHO than abrasives (sandpaper) which seem only to clog on silicone rather than remove much of anything for the effort used.

Thanks for your replies, I have it down to a pretty thin layer. I will try both scraping and sanding.   I am looking forward to getting this boat in the water. Mike

Thanks for your replies, I have it down to a pretty thin layer. I will try both scraping and sanding.   I am looking forward to getting this boat in the water. Mike

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.