Oxford shell decks - glass them or not?

I have epoxied the decks to the hull finally and I'm ready to trim the edges.

Should I trim first or glass the decks then trim? I have already epoxied the hull (four coats) so a little sanding at the hull/deck joint is not a big concern at this point if I'm careful.

Is there a real need to glass the decks (better structual strength) at all or just put 3-4 coats of unthinckened epoxy? Will not glassing the decks make the shell noticably lighter?

Thanks,

Sharktown

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Oxford shell decks - glass them or not?

1. Trim, then glass. Avoids snags and a smooth rounded edge lets you run the glass down onto the hull which helps waterproof the joint.

2a. Definitely better abrasion resistance and waterproofing, not really much more structural strength.

2b. Depends. If you use 4 oz glass and fill the weave with epoxy/microballoon mix, it will be lighter than 4 coats of epoxy. Noticeably? Depends on your strength. BTW, if you do use epoxy/microballon mix, you'll have to paint instead of varnish (unless you actually like a smeared brownish-purple finish).

Have fun,

Laszlo

Laszlo,
I am building an Oxford shell too, but I am a bit further on than you.  My advice is:
trim the plywood edges to be flush with the topsides (or gunwhale),
Inspect the joint between the deck and the sheer strake for gaps.  The deck may not have glued down well between the nails if you used them (I did not).
If there are any gaps make sure you fill them with filled epoxy.
Round off the edge using a jack plane or orbital sander to give the deck glass a nice radius to go around,
Glass the deck with the glass going over onto the topsides - clean up the extra glass.

My email is [email protected]   If you want to contact me I can send you pictures.  

Sorry, I should have addressed my reply to sharktown, not Laszlo.  I fully agree with what Laszlo suggested.

Thanks Laszlo!

I will send you an email.

Sharktown

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.