Fibreglass to stern on 16Lt

I'm building a 16Lt and have just fibreglassed the hull, on the video it says to cut the fabric flush at the stern and it would come back to show reinforcing but doesn't.

Anybody have suggestions? Do I just put some extra fabric over the stern and epoxy to feather in? Someones experienced advice would be appreciated.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fibreglass to stern on 16Lt

On my boat I cut the glass a little long on the sterm and folded it over, I feathered it in and then for kicks I put a piece of carbon fiber over it. I had extra carbon fiber fabric and even though i was planning on painting the hull and varnishing the deck I gave some thought to leaving the carbon fiber piece unpainted. 

In the end I just wound up painting over it. I really don't think the CF added any strength, but  I did learn a few things working with it and was able to add some carbon fiber accents topside. 

Dave

After  the epoxy dried, I cut mine flush at the stern and sanded the rough edges. I then cut a strip about 3 inches wide and placed it over the end. It took some work to get it flush where the stern rounded into the keel but I was able to get all the wrinkles out. After the epoxy dried I sanded the edges and blended it in.    Mike

Thanks for the tips.

Think I'll try to put a piece of glass over the top and blend in.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.