Passagemaker in truck bed?

Has anyone successfully put a Passagemaker Take Apart in back of 8 foot truck bed? 

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Passagemaker in truck bed?

Not yet (I'm about to start plans building one).  My Eastport Pram fits though.  The PM will be wider than the bed/wheel wells, so probably has to sit sort of cocked sideways.  Use plenty of padding or build a quick and dirty custom rack on an angle made from 2x4's.  It's also longer than the bed with the tailgate down, so don't forget the red flag.

Yes, both with and without the parts assembled, in my GMC 2500.  Nested, it fits with the tailgate up.  If I'm using her locally, I'll gererally just load her assembled, stern-first (red rag tied to bow grip), and sitting on a 6x12 piece of outdoor carpet laid out in the bed of the truck, sprayed with silicone from time to time so the boat slides easily.  If I'm launching at a ramp, I'll just back down to the water, release the last lashing, and slide her in, keeping hold of the transom grips to ease her in gently so she doesn't take a dollop of water over the bow.

To recover, I just pull her transom up over the end of the tailgate to reverse the process.  If I'm launching her where I can't back the truck right down to the water, we'll carry along another piece of carpet and slide her off onto that to get her up on the dolly to roll down to the shore.

With the 2500, the wheel wells don't intrude into the bed as much as they would with a half-ton truck, but I think she'd still fit with some care and attention to some padding at the wheel wells to make sure she didn't rub there.  We've also had her in the back of my son's Chevy Colorado, which is not a full-sized truck, which works with some care.

I can probably dig out some photos of this if that would help.

.....Michael

Thank you for the replies.

Also looking at small racks to fit just above 8 foot bed or 4 foot extension with hitch.

I would be interested in pics Michael.

Thanks again!

I was thinking about storing my PM upside down over the truck bed like a camper shell top, while still being able to reach in over the side rails.  Since I finish the bottoms with graphite epoxy, it's UV resistant.  I was thinking about trying to get creative with making a nice looking wooden rack with some decent joinery.

I've also seen the receiver hitch extensions with the upright T for carrying long kayaks.  That might be a cool solution because you could still store other stuff in the truck bed like a cooler or other camping gear.

I am thinking along the same line of using my truck and not using a trailer for my take apart.  Any pictures would be GREAT!

Okay, here are some photos.

First, my son and grandson loading the big section into my GMC 2500 truck so they could take it to there place for the initial paint job.

Big section in; taking a break, I guess:

Small section nested between center thwart and stern seat, about as shown in the PMD take-apart photo in the CLC website:

Ample clearance for closing tailgate:

Launching assembled boat is pretty straightforward:

View of asssmbled boat loaded and tied down:

Right side close up shows plenty of room:

Left side close up:

Tie-downs are just some 5/16" rope, long bowlines in left side tie-down loops, trucker's hitch variations using alpine butterfly on right side.  After tying down across the stern at the front of the bed, the carpet is stuffed under the bow before tying down at the back of the bed.  She rides quite happily with no horsing around.

All ready to go except for a few more bits of gear, the mast, and bundled lug sail with yards:

...clicked when I should have clacked, I guess.  As I was saying....

All ready to go except for a few more bits of gear, the mast, and bundled lug sail with yards:

As I said in my earlier post, this is how I load up to use the boat locally.  For a longer trip where I need to put other stuff in the truck bed, I'll need to rig something upto bridge the bed and support the upturned large section, with the bow section riding below along with other stuff.

Once I'm finished with the boat, I'll back her up to the garage, spread out another piece of that outdoor carpet on the garage floor, and slide her out, down, and into the garage.  She'll then usually get disassembled (unless I mean to take her out again soon) and put away in a corner of the garage about like so:

Dang, did it again.  Anyway, here's the boat stored in the corner of the garage:

My wife looks so pleased mostly because it is January and she knows I'm going to put her car right bak in the garage here any minute.  All in all, a fine arrangement.  Can't store boats outside where we live, so this wouldn't work at all if I had to keep the boat on a trailer, as my wife would be given her dirty looks every time she went past her, all snug and dry, to go scrape snow off her car so she could go some where, don't you see.

Hope the photos help...

.....Michael

Very helpful!

Thank you!!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.