Skerry Daggerboard Trunk Slightly Misaligned

I'm nearing the end of my skerry build and despite measuring several times, I've managed to misalign the front of my skerry's daggerboard trunk. Of course, I didn't discover this until after I glued down the middle seat and cut out the opening on both sides for the daggerboard. The back of the trunk is perfectly centered, but the front is off center by about 1/4 of an inch. This is not super obvious at casual glance, but I'm worried that the deflection in angle will be problematic for sailing. Does anyone have any advice? Should I leave it or should I use an oscillating tool and flush saw to cut out the daggerboard trunk and try to reinstall it correctly (as not fan as that sounds to do)?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry Daggerboard Trunk Slightly Misaligned

Astro Viking,

1/4" off center at one end of the trunk results in the centerboard being less than a fraction of one degree off the centerline of the boat. If the trunk is 12", one end 1/4" off the centerline results in a skew of 0.4 degrees. There is no way this will make a noticable difference in sailing on either tack. At absolute worst you would feel the boat tracking a bit to windward on one tack and a bit to leeward on the other. That being said, you would need to skew the board much more than that to actually feel the effect.  

You will notice much more diffence in the helm based on the heel of the boat.

Have fun finishing the boat and sailing!

Joel

RE: Skerry Daggerboard Trunk Slightly Misaligned

Thanks for the reassurance. Part of me just wants it to look right, but I suspect I'll make it look worse by trying to "fix" it. I'm glad to read I probably haven't handicapped my skerry. Thanks again.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.