Epoxy Pre-Coat Questions

Hi all. I'm building a Passgemaker from a kit and am up to coating the planks in epoxy. The manual says "Do not permit epoxy to get into the rabbet...", which I have no problem with, the reason for this is just not apparent to me. I would have thought more waterproofing here would be better? Am I missing something obvious? 

Second question, I'm using the Bote Cote system and have been given some timber preservative additive (TPRDA). This also helps the epoxy penetrate. 

http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12

Is there any reason I shouldn't use this for my first coat of epoxy?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy Pre-Coat Questions

becuase you have not stitched the boat together yet, they want you to hold off on the epoxy to get a strong bond where the rabbet meets the other pieces.  if you pre-coat the entire area, by the time you put it together, the epoxy pre-coat will have cured....and the strength of the bond will be weaker becuase now the epoxy is sitting on top of cured epoxy vs engaged actively with the underlying wood....where it gets down below the surface.

Many years ago, I was instructed that just prior to squeezing out a fillet, wetting the area to be bonded with epoxy would add to the overall strength of the bond. What say the experts? Yes, No, not worth the trouble or expense of brushes? Thanks, John

FWIW, I always paint the bond area with unthickened epoxy before applying the putty. I do it to prevent epoxy starvation, especially in any exposed end-grain which will just suck the epoxy out of the putty.

Once the fillet is down, I paint that with unthickened epoxy, too, to smooth it down. It leaves the surface as smooth as a baby's bottom and eliminates the need for any sanding to remove surface roughness.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.