How to determine port side - starboard side on oars

Hello, I am new here as well as a very new rower. I took lessons and everything was set up and ready to go at the lake for our classes. I have now purchased an Annapolis Wherry (just delivered yesterday) and have Dreher oars and now have a dumb question - - I read where it said, "after you determine which is your port-side oars and starboard oars..." ? (Duh)  I don't see where they are marked. At rowing class they had the right marked with red tape and left marked with green.

Thanks so much!

Shelley

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How to determine port side - starboard side on oars

My Drehers are identical, except for the tape color, so I don't think it makes much difference.

Laszlo

Thank you very much!

A point of order............"At rowing class they had the right marked with red tape and left marked with green."

In a boat the sides are determined by sitting in the stern facing foward. (same for cars, airplanes, etc) The right side is the starboard side. Its where the steering oar was placed a long time ago, big boat. The left side is the port side. It is where the dock was "placed" as to not mess up the steering oar.  Port side, the left side, color code is red.  Starboard is green. The colors match navigation lights.

Then again I hear that  rowers do things backwards. :-)

If your oars are hatchet style spoon blades then there definitely is a "side" for each oar.

You will figure it out quiickly if you do it wrong. Once it is correct then you could put a dab of red or green paint (nail polish, tape, ...) on the oar. I have red and green oar collars. My sliding seat seat unit is tagged too so the green oar goes on the green side and red on the red side.

Once matched to its "side" and marked you won't get it wrong again.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.