Wood duck 12 vs wood duck 14

I'm trying to decide between the wood duck 12 or

the wood duck 14.

I know we're only talking less than 2 feet difference between the two, but I understand that the wood duck 14 has a much larger cockpit, may be better suited to fishing. I weigh about 180 pounds in about 5 foot 8' I'm hoping I'm heavy enough to make it track well. I'm planning on adding  skeg to it if  necessary.

I live in Florida and I'm planning on using it for fishing, cruising the mangrove tunnels, and the intercoastal waterway and maybe some days in the gulf when weather permits.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood duck 12 vs wood duck 14

Except for the fishing, I'd say WD12 hands down. The maneuverability and responsiveness of the 12 compared to the 14 will make it more enjoyable and less tiring, especially in the mangroves.

As far as fishing, the only fishing I've done from a WD12 is some casual catfish catching, so I don't know how it would work out if you're a seruious fisherman.

Laszlo

How do the two compare in straight line paddling in open water? Any difference in how wind and waves influence holding a course?

Yes, I was kind of wondering that myself, how they do compare in straight line paddling and in open water. Wondering since the Duck 14 is a little bit longer would it track a little bit more effectively 

I haven't tried a WD-14 but I have fished a few times from my WD-12. It is plenty steady for fishing. I made a removable shelf that I attach a rod holder to, it fits in the cockpit in front of me. When windy the kayak will turn into the wind some, a skeg, or placing weight in the back may help with this weather cocking.  I don't try casting if it is windy, I don't want to catch my self. 

Keep in mind that the 14 footer is heavier to lift out of the water onto your vehicle, that is a deterant for me. I do have a longer kayak that I use if my intent is to travel farther/faster.

Ralph

Either size should have no problem navigating the mangroves since many kayakers take 16 and 18 foot kayaks in there all the time. The worst that could happen is one might have to back paddle to make an extremely tight turn. 

Note not anyone can cut tunnels or trim mangrove trees. The state authorizes certain individuals to cut or supervise the cutting and trimming of mangroves.

Homeowners are exempt for trimming mangroves only if the trees are on their property.  But there are still restrictions on the use of herbicides and how much can be trimmed. The regulations are set by the state of Florida and can also include county regulations.

So are there actually any owners of a Wood Duck 14 that would care to chime in?  Would really  like an opinion of an actually  owner on tracking, handling, and ease of paddling distances and in a little chop and cross wind.  I had a Chesapeake 17 and it was just a little too long  in the tooth for me for the back waters and I hoping either the WD12 or WD14 would be a better choice

I have a WD 12 and a WD 14. I prefer my WD 14 but I'm north of 200 lbs (my WD 14 also takes a Mirage drive). It does indeed track better than the WD 12. However, for someone 5' 8" and 180 lbs I think the WD 12 would be a better fit.

Thank you for your response, I  am  probably going to use the Woodduck for navigating  the many back waers we have here in Florida, but I may also use it from some open water crusing and want to make sure the WD 12 was up for it, especially for tracking and ease of long crusing.

Where you able to fit the Hobie Mriage drive with  relative ease?

To fit the drive and still have room to sit and use it I had to increase the cockpit size an additional six inches.

For long crusing I use my Shearwater 17. It's longer and more narrow than the Wood Ducks, so it tracks better and takes less effort to paddle.

I finished mt WD12 about 6 weeks ago.  Taken it out many times.  It's very maneuverable and tracks great as long as Im paddling.  Might hold the line for 5 seconds or so after a break in paddling, and then goes its own way.  

But I wouldnt let that effect your decision.  I'm 200 lbs  5'10",  Size wise Its perfect for me.  And I wouldnt want to have to lift any more out of water or to car top.

I'd recommend a 14 to a 300+ lbs  man, but only because of the added payload capacity.   

I dont fish, but I think the 12 would be adequate for that.

For you at 180  I'd say the 12 is a great choice.

I wonder if any plans builders have modified a WD14 hybrid to end up with a boat that weighs more like the 12 and less than the 14. Something with the hull of the 14 but a lower volume upper. You could alter the forms to get a lower deck but would that give you any weight reduction? Paradoxically, the bigger cockpit of the 14 might make for a lighter deck with less materials needed. If a lot of the weight of the 14 is in higher sheer panels you might mess up the hull shape. Can't really tell from the photos how much bigger the panels are in the 14. If most of the weight increase is in the length than the point is moot. Would love to get the tracking of the14 but the weight of the 12 is more important. I am leaning towards the 12 at the moment for my creaky 6'3" 200 pound frame.

I just launched a WD 12 with hopes of quiet water angling.  I'll give it stable and maneuverable.  There is precious little space for gear.  Most disappointing is the poor tracking as someone else mentioned.  The boats spins out within seconds of not paddling.  If anyone has any suggestions for fixing this, please speak up.  Add a skeg or a removable fixed ruddder?  It's a beauty and gets rave reviews from watchers, but my ancient plastic Pungo 12 is a better angling boat.  The WD 14 is longer.  Does it track?

My WD 14 tracks better than my WD 12. My WD 12 never spun, but it zig-zagged more than I wanted it to when I paddled it. I had a spare rudder on the shelf so I installed it on my WD 12. That solved my problem.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.