Dory Daggerboard

Finished building a NE Dory with sailing kit.   After several times out with the boat I've had really bad side slip when tacking in any wind over 5 knots.  Very frustrating and a bit irritating.  I believe the daggerboard for the design is too short and am wondering if any others have experienced this.  

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dory Daggerboard

I hadn't noticed a problem with mine.

���I don't know the NE, but the skerry daggerbiard needs forward motion to get flow to make lift. If like me you are used to keyboard with nice fat leeks, you have to adjust. Ease sails, bear off a bit and once moving then head up, trimming as you go. Also I can't trim my lug sail on the skerry as tightly as the main on the keelboat.

���gah, I hate autocorrect on the phone. That is "...used to keelboats with a nice fat keel"

Was just out on Cave Run Lake Saturday. Winds were "variable" but had some sustained 6-9 knot breezes. We got on a couple of great reaches and didn't notice any side slip at all (Northeaster Dory). GPS gave us a reading that could not have been true. On the ramp a knot of sailors from the local racing mob came over to complement the sailing ability of the boat. I think they were influenced by the wood, heaven knows I can't sail for squat.
One thing I've noticed though, the sail's center of effort has to be tuned to the boat by moving the halyard position fore or aft on the yard. On my boat the sweet spot is pretty far from the position suggested in plans. When it's not in tune the rudder inputs have to be quite high which affects my perception of the boats track quite a bit.

Cheers,
e

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.