Will a NE Dory sitting on a trailer fit in one side of a standard size garage?

I am curious if (once built) for storage purposes, a NE Dory will fit on one side of a 2 car garage when it is sitting on a trailer?  Say the Trailex trailer, for example.

Thanks!

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Will a NE Dory sitting on a trailer fit in one side of a standard size garage?

Yes, but only if you lower the mast.  

RE: Will a NE Dory sitting on a trailer fit in one side of a standard size garage?

Not in mine! But I have an exceptionally small 2 car garage, more like a 1 1\2 car garage. A normal size garage should be fine.

1st post to your forum . I would appreciate a LOA , ( forward of ball hitch to any stern overhang of the dory.)   The trailer clc shows for NE dory is shorter than length of dory; the pictures show the trailer tongue extending forward of dory,bow.

Need to arrange a home before adoption / acquisition of an orphaned NE dory.

Thanks.

Silver Salt, best answer yet :-)

6thWindMike,

Here's a picture of Jeff Smith's dory on the Trailex SUT-200-S.

Here's my schooner hull on the same type of trailer.

The schooner is 16 inches longer than a dory, 9 inches narrower.  Note the positions of the trailer hardware.

My rig fits in "my" half of a 19'x19' 2-car garage from the early 90's with enough space to walk between the door and boat and to open the door of a Nissan Sentra parked in the other half. To do this, the trailer is in tongue first and the rig is at an angle, tongue away from the other 1/2. The entire other 1/2 is clear.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Hmmm... most garages are 20-25’ deep, w/a typical 2-car’s door @ 16’ wide so each space is (roughly) 20-25’ long x 8’ wide.

NED’s 17’ loa w/56” beam, SUT-220’s 15’ long x 52” over fenders.

MUCH depends on where axle is positioned on trailer’s frame so as much of the DORY can be on trailer as possible (minimum overhang at stern) while still putting only 10% total weight of dory + trailer on hitch ball.

Trailered dory I’d think could maybe fit OK but however configured there’d be precious little room at the ends once it’s parked & door lowered.

(I’m faced w/similar challenge with my Waterlust kit once it’s built. At 17’ long, in my 24’ deep garage (2-car but I can claim only half!) if I end up needing a trailer too it’d fit... barely.)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.