What are alternatives to varnished rubrails?

The rubrails on my pocketship are looking... rough. Maybe the dock and I are too friendly, or the sun was a little too bright this year, but whatever the reason, they are discolored and nasty. I sanded down the discolored areas but when I re-epoxied, the wood darkened again unevenly. So, I could ​varnish again, but it wouldn't look perfect, and the upkeep is not fun. What other options have people tried? I could paint them brown, but then I guess I would need to keep the paint touched up. Anybody have string opinions one way or another?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: What are alternatives to varnished rubrails?

Sand the entire rail, not just the discolored areas, until it's an even color, epoxy and revarnish. Or, since rubrails are sacrificial and will need refinishing every year at least, just varnish them and save the epoxy money.

Or cover them with rope, firehose, etc.

Laszlo

Jamestown Distributing sells a brass half round that looks good and does the trick.

Or you could buy it from CLC.

On the other hand, putting that on your rubrails is downright antisocial. Nobody will be wanting you anywhere near their fancy paintjobs and gelcoat,

Laszlo

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Gunwale+Guards&category=628&page=GRID&engine=adwords&keyword=rub_rails_for_boats&gclid=CjwKEAjwiqTNBRDV48OGlrLAk3ESJABrHfTKdFmdS6MlDo3_mOG_LyZIWx0vIQb9LKQN7rw_-Jw28hoCkuLw_wcB

No one mentioned an oiled rubrail. Oiling the wood with tung/walnut/linseed oil is quick and easy and doesnt chip or crack. Pre-season refreshing of the oil is easy. Many fiberglass boats have oiled wood rubrails, teak, oak... They protect the boat, neighbooring boats at the dock and are easy to care for and look great.

I also tung oil my greenland style kayak paddles, daggerboard handles and anyother bright wood that is subjected to a good deal of wear and tear.

Joel

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.