Great Auk Double - That Was Close

Last year we built a Great Auk Double from a CLC kit...I've done some woodworking before, but this was my first boat, and I'm very pleased with the results. Next weekend, we're going to start on a sail rig kit. In the meantime, here's a pic of the finished boat before it got wet, and of us paddling with humpbacks in Monterey Bay last weekend. The boat handles great...the whales hardly notice it.  I'm having trouble getting pics attached to this message, so I'm going to paste the links directly instead https://flic.kr/p/WtukDu https://flic.kr/p/WPdnwm

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Great Auk Double - That Was Close

Gosh! That's a lovely boat. I'm glad it wasn't smashed to smithereens on its first outing!

Thanks. That was actually our third trip out, and the boat handles great, but I don't think it could have stood up to a 30-ton collision. 

I'd vote for you if you were in the photo contest. So jealous that there's no whales in the Chesapeake.

Laszlo 

Thanks Laszlo, and thanks for gettinf the pic added to the thread - I don't know why it didn't work for me. There was another guy out there in a plastic boat, so for the first time, we got some pics of us on the water.

Terry,

Happy to get your picture in. The reason you had trouble is flickr, not you. flickr doesn't just use a simple link to the image. They go through a layer of HTML and javascript to run a viewer that then displays the picture, so one has to get the web page sources and read through all that to find the image URL which is passed to the viewer. That URL is what needs to be pasted into the forum image box instead of the page URL.

These kayaks really are magic carpets, aren't they? Once you get one built you're set for a lifetime of magical adventures.

How far offshore were you in the picture?

Laszlo

Laszlo - Thanks for the Flickr help, and I agree, magic carpet is very appropriate!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.