Issue with fiberglass coat

So I just applied the fiberglass and firstcoat of epoxy on a shearwater sport.  On the stern where the fiberglass wrapps around it has seperated from the hall.  Should I just trim off the thin strip then feather the edges and lay down a strip of fiberglass tape and epoy that in place? How critical is the fiberglass itself right there? could I go ahead and trim it off its just as wide as the point of the bow and finish the boat then add a strip of Dynel later? Im hoping to varnish it as much as possible plan to add paint or other methods to cover defects as need be.

Thanks

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Issue with fiberglass coat

Alan,

Any glass seperated from the hull is worthless and should be redone. You can do any of your suggestions - they are all valid. Also see http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/epoxy_and_fiberglass/bias_weave_fiberglass.html

Have fun,

Joel 

RE: Issue with fiberglass coat

Alan, I just got to that step myself, today, on my Mill Creek 16.5.  I did a lot of surfing/reading, and discovered that most folks don't try to wrap the glass around the bow and stern,  Just trim it flush at the ends and reinforce the ends with tape.  Following a tip from this site, I cut my end tapes on the bias and they made the curves without the need to cut darts.  Good luck.  Bill

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.