Killing time while awaiting my Shearwater Sport Sectional kit

With four kayaks already stacted up in my garage, I suppose the only justification I can make for building a fifth is the sick thrill I'll get when I cut my nearly complete Shearwater into pieces! But I'm not at that stage yet. The kit won't be sent my way for about a month.

So in the meantime I've created a little YouTube tribute to my very first build -- a 10' Folbot Junior that I made in 1962 and still find pleasure in paddling. Those interested can view the 3-minute video here:

I do think there are some useful boatbuilding lessons here. The original wood frame was varnished. I didn't know about fiberglass until I started making trick skis a few years later. I'm sure much of the varnish is long gone, but the wood frame still does its job. This tells us that wood can outlast most other things (including humans) as long as it is stored in a dry place out of direct exposure to sunlight. 

The shell of the kayak is vinyl-coated canvas, and for at least a decade that cover spent the summer months on a deck in dappled shade. It eventually became brittle and had to be replaced in the 80's.

Now that the kayak is stored in the garage between uses is seems to be holding up well.

So I conclude that even though fiberglass is great stuff, the key to longevity is dry, sheltered storage between dunkings in the lake.

No replies have been added to this post.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.