Peeler console and cables

I have glassed the console and am installing it in my Peeler. The manual tells me not to glass the seat and top piece but just to epoxy. Is there a reason I shouldn't glass those two pieces since the rest of the console is glassed? 

Also, I am a few days away from installing the steering mechanism and cables. It would seem to make sense to run the cables underneath the edge of the seat rather than under the inwales and through the knees. Seems a shorter route and will be more hidden under the edge of the seat. What am I missing?

Thanks, Jack

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler console and cables

The glass is used for strength which is not needed on those two panels. The epoxy seals the wood and makes maintenance easier. It's your build so go with glass/epoxy or just paint/varnish.

The control cables have restrictions on how tight a bend they will take. Also, the wider the bend the smoother they will operate.

Catboater,

I'm in the process of installing the hardware for the new console on my Peeler. I thought what you thought about routing the steering cables, so I got the service manager at a local boatyard to look it over. He vehemently recommended routing the cables through the knees as CLC recommends. He said that the tighter bends needed for the under seat route would cause no end of problems, if they worked at all.

Cheers,

Dick

P.S. I still have your email address and will send you picture when I finish next week. My console lower than the CLC design and is for sitting down.

Thank you Catboater and Dick, very helpful. 

Jack

I am running the steering cables through the top of the knees on the starboard side, I'm not clear how the cables are secured in the back starboard corner by the transom, don't see that in the manuel. 

Also, I'm not clear on how/where to install the drain plug in the transom. I think I know where - lower center of transom, do I use a 1 inch forester bit and go through the transom? Same with the eye hooks at the bow and stern?

Thanks, Jack

Jack,

Later today, I'll attach photos of my Peeler cable installation (and the drain plug). What hardware will you be using for the plug?

Cheers,

Dick 

Jack,

Here are some photos. It's a dark rainy day here. I have to apologize for About Time. She's been sitting uncovered in an urban parking lot for a few weeks and is covered in soot. My grandson will be washing and waxing her this weekend before we take her out.

I have a 9 HP Yamaha without electric start. I know that remote controls are not supported on this size Yamaha, but the service manager where I originally bought the motor was able to order and install the necessary parts. They can be contacted at: Twin City Marine, 600 High St, Central Falls, RI 02863, (401) 723-6100 if anyone is interested. I've used them for years and have always been satisfied.

Cheers,

Dick

Sit down console

Motor installation

Centerline view

Jack, here's a before image. I have no idea why the previous link failed.

Jack, here's a better look at the motor hookup. Remember to leave enough slack so that the motor can be turned and raised.

Motor mount 2

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.