Performance backband installation

Getting ready to install the performance backband on my WD12.

Before I drill fill drill any holes I thought I'd put this out there.

The backband has those metal sliding closer clips on the seat straps. For the ones in the front I figured I would clip into plastic two screw eyestraps up under the coaming on the sides of the cockpit.  But the back set is where I have doubts. I imagine those metal clips in an eyestrap behind the seat would be bulky, clunky, and noisy. My thought is to remove the clips and simply screw the black webbing strap directly into the bulkhead.

Seems more streamlined and less holes in the boat.

I suppose my question is, would it work better that way or not?

And Id greatly appreciate if any of Y'all with experience have any other ideas or suggestions, lets have it, please.    

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Performance backband installation

Bri,

I used the Creature Comfort seat, but some of my installation applies to your setup. I made a loop of nylon webbing held together with a single screw into the coaming. 1 hole per side, can't get much more minimal than that. That screw is hell to get in there, BTW, since the vertical clearance requires very short tools.

As far as screwing the back webbing directly to the boat - put the screwdriver down and back away from the boat. You do that and you can't remove the seat without a screwdriver. That's amazingly inconvenient when cleaning the boat, or refinishing it. It also limits your adjustability.

Do the right thing,

Laszlo

PS - if you're installing seats, the first paddle can't be far away. You excited?

The removablity is a factor I didnt think about.

With 4 straps on the PBB, maybe I'll put 4 loops like these,  two on the sides and two more in the back for an easy clip in.  

And Yes. The excitement is building.  Hm, a little pun there, I am so funny sometimes.

Thanks Laszlo 

Laszlo, Do you DFD the seat loop hole?  or permanently glue in the screw?

If it's the latter, do you Pre-Drill?

Thanks

Bri

Bri,

It shames me to admit it (actually, it doesn't) but I did neither. I drilled a pilot hole and just drove the screw in. After 9+ years it's still going strong.

I got away with it because it's on the underside of the coaming (so water doesn't pool there), the screw is a tight fit and I store the boat in the garage between uses.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.