Chesapeake "15" repair/rebuilds???

I may be purchasing what looks like in the photos to be a used Chesapeake 14 or 16.  The owner bought it used and doesn't know what it is, just that it is 15 foot long.  Can anyone direct me to websites or other messages that could help me evaluate the repair needs?

From the photos looks like the bow has damage through the glass and there are numerous scrapes on the bottom.  The lack of padding in the cushion makes me think it did not get completely finished by the builder so no telling what else I will find. 

I have some idea of the construction because I built a CLC Triple Tred Avon a long time ago to take family trips and love it but need a single now that my kid is in college.  

Thanks in advance.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake "15" repair/rebuilds???

Seems to me THIS is the best place to have posted a request for that sort of info Peg. Just post some pics and you'll likely have more advice than you need.

Scrapes on the bottom..............have I got expeerience with those? HA! 

there is basically two kinds of scrapes A. those that look bad but aren't. They are in the varnish. Sanding and a couple of coats of varnish take care of them. ........ B. Those that cut through the epoxy into the fabric of the glass. Those take sanding, but much more. Each must be evaluated seperately. Essentially you'll need to sand down to the glass and back some. Patch with new fabric as necessary and re-epoxy.  Of course sanding the varnish out then, filling the gap with epoxy resin, sanding and re varnish will get you back on the water faster. However this short cut will always show up through the clear epoxy and varnish...  

You might find some similar damage and ideas for repairs here:

http://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boats-blog/what-happens-when-stitch-and-glue-boats-age.html  

>>Of course sanding the varnish out then, filling the gap with epoxy resin, >>sanding and re varnish will get you back on the water faster. However >>this short cut will always show up through the clear epoxy and varnish...

Done carefully it'll be almost totally invisible.

The trick is to feather the edges of the glass. It also helps to lay a piece of clear plastic packing tape on top of the epoxy-filled scratch to hold the unthickened epoxy in place. Once it cures, remove the tape, give it a couple more days curing time and then sand carefully and varnish.  It only ends up visible under certain lighting conditions and if you know what you're looking for.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.