Sail Rigging on NE Dory

Hi All -- I took my new NE Dory on her maiden voyage this past weekend.  She's sloop rigged (upgraded).  Although I was very pleased with the way she sailed, I was not impressed with the rope-tie system used to secure the foot of the main to the boom.  If these lines are fied too tight -- effectively prohibiting any movement -- you can't get the sail up the mast, but if too loose you begin dumping air under the foot.  Has anyone tried using a track system for the boom like that employed on the mast?  I can see only good things coming from such an arrangement, but would appreciate the thoughts and feedback of others with experience in this realm.  Thanks.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sail Rigging on NE Dory

I had a similar sloop rig NE Dory.  I did not have a problem with the boom ties, but perhaps my lines were not as tight as yours.  I also rigged reefing lines, and placed a small block on the mast to help get the correct angle to lower the mainsail for reefing.

You might want to consider trying a spiral lace pattern on the boom before investing in a track system.

Attached is a pic from my sloop rig:

[URL=http://s167.photobucket.com/user/timber_cruiser/media/Dory/IMG_3634_zps6abz666c.jpg.html][IMG]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u143/timber_cruiser/Dory/IMG_3634_zps6abz666c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Timber Cruiser -- Thanks for your pictures.  They are both beautiful and helpful.  I especially likee your reefing idea, the hardware on your stays, and the additional blocks you added for your jib sheets.  All good food for thought.  Thank you for sharing.   

Mountain Sailor,   I am glad the pictures are of some help to you. Also good you were able to sort out my botched photo link to the album with pics.  I know you will enjoy your NE Dory sloop rig.  This was my first build and I really enjoyed learing how to sail with this rig.  It performs really well.  I sold mine last fall after two years of sailing.  My wife told me we needed a larger boat, so I said ok (!)  I just completed a Caledonia Yawl which is also a very fun boat.

By the way, what mountains are you near?  Are you in the western states area?

On the lug rig, the tack and clew are the only really tight ties on my skerry.  All the others are just snug so they should be able to slide about.  I'm assuming that by your comment, there is enough tension on your foot that the slides on the mast bind as you hoist.  If you lash the clew down to the mast and have a second lashing to the clew, you can make the second more of an outhaul.  With a simple loop on one end, you can make it a 2 part haul to easily bring it tight after hoist and loosen it before dropping.  Sort of like my clew lashing, but with a bit more free end to make it easier to handle and tie.

Timber Cruiser -- Congratulations on your yawl.  That must have been quite a project!  I've never sailed a yawl -- I've always been a sloop or a cat boat guy -- but they are so pretty that I can't think of a good reason for not having tried one of them.  The varnish is (was?) hardly dry on my dory before I dove into another building project.  This time around I've got a Chesapeake 17 kayak wired together for my wife.  After that I'll probably do another of Chesapeake of one sort or the other for myself and then who knows?  We live in the northern Rockies (Montana), but have cruised part of the Inside Passage on the only power boat we've ever owned.  I'm thinking that following the dory and two kayaks I might try building a Tenderly Tender that would be destined for the stern of another long distance cruiser.  But that's all in the future.  Again thanks.      

Mummichog -- Thanks for your suggestion and your pictures.  Your idea is well worth trying especially because it requires no real modifications.  From what I've seen so far, it's clear that I need to loosen all of my lashings so they slide better, but again, setting it up as you suggest might enhance the entire process.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.