Easport nesting pram, I sawed through my bulkheads

Hi,

I've almost finished building the easport nesting pram.

So when it came to the moment of cutting the boat in half I didn't do my alignment propperly and ended up sawing into the bulkhead. I repaired my mistake with some epoxy and more or less it's ok. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jCdx11yMEVcUY5U1Y4bFYwTVk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jCdx11yMEVazV6elY2TVdhTjA/view?usp=sharing

However even after sanding the surfaces aren't too even.

I've done a dry fit with my rubber gasket (which is 2mm thick) and it seems to make a seal in some areas, and other areas there is nothing. I was testing the seal by poking a peice of card from the outside during my dry fit.

I have a few questions:

1. This isn't normal, right? Normally the two suraces should make exelent contact in a dry fit. Has anyone who build the boat, without screwing up the sawing, noticed the gasket gaps when doing a dry fit.

2. Should I solve this by sanding the surfaces to make it flat? (and risk making it more rounded, I only have a sanding block)

3. Should I solve it by applying a thicker gasket?

4. Should I solve it by putting some other material on the other side? e.g. Neoprene.

5. Could it be a different problem (not tignting my bolts enough during my dry fit?)

Thanks in  advance,

James

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Easport nesting pram, I sawed through my bulkheads

>>2. Should I solve this by sanding the surfaces to make it flat? (and risk making it more rounded, I only have a sanding block)

Make a fairing board and use that to sand the surface.

But before you do, fill in the low spots with epoxy/woodflour putty (or epoxy/phenolic microballoon mix, if you want less work sanding). Sand the high spots down, fill in the low and use the sanding board to get a large surface flat.

I don't have a nesting boat, so I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions, sorry.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.