Sail Furling and Stowing

I'm trying to find more information on the CLC 55 sail for the kayak sail rig.

There doesn't appear to be any provision to reduce the sail once fitted, and I can't find any pictures of how the sail is taken down or stowed. I realize that the boom is attached which would make a mast furler impossible, but does the sail slid down the mast to the boom where it can be tied up, or does the whole mast and sail as a unit have to be taken apart?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sail Furling and Stowing

The mast and the sail must be removed as one unit. There is no way to reduce or reef the sail. 

The mast and the sail must be removed as one unit. There is no way to reduce or reef the sail. 

I think this will depend upon how long you are intending to stow the sails or move the kayak. One could lower the head of the sail to the boom and tie the gathered sail to the boom. If it is for long term storage or transportation, I  would remove the sale from the mast and boom and either roll or fold the sale as needed for storage or transportation.

There is an example of a kayak moored at a bouy with the sale lowered and secured to the boon in the Old Gllery.

I think this is a personal choice depending upon how dificult it is for you to rig your sail, the length of the storage, how well you want to treat your sail rig, etc.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.