How do you turn over the faering cruiser while under construction?

With these larger boats, what are people using to turn the hull while it is being constructed?  I am working toward the end of my Northeaster Dory project, and find that flipping it is not something I can easily do by myself.  What do you do with a hull weighing much more?  Thanks.

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How do you turn over the faering cruiser while under construction?

The 2 photographers are optional :-)

>>>>With these larger boats, what are people using to turn the hull while it is being constructed?  I am working toward the end of my Northeaster Dory project, and find that flipping it is not something I can easily do by myself. >>>>

I don't think it was ever envisioned that the 17-foot Northeaster Dory or the 23-foot Faering Cruiser were to be flipped solo!

Round up the neighbor's kids when you need to flip, or have friends over for cold drinks.

In the early stages the Faering Cruiser could be flipped by two people, but by the time it had acquired most of its structure it needed 3-4. For this reason we actually finished the exterior hull, bottom paint and all, as seen in Laszlo's photo. The actual number of rotations was kept to a minimum.

You can put it in a sling -- here's mine in action.

Dave M. 

I will add that if you do make a sling -- you have to watch the center of gravity of the boat while flipping it. The dory likes to be right-side up (which is good if it's in a lake) so when you flip it upside down using the sling -- you need to keep a hand on it to avoid sudden shifts. I did find that the tilted position was a good one for finishing the interior sides.

Dave M.  

Like Dave, I used a sling to turn my dory. That made it an easy two-person job. Possible for one. As Dave says, it does tend to try to right itself half-way through the turn.

John, that's your photo. Not only is it off the CLC website, I believe you were even the photographer.

Laszlo

When it comes to flipping boats - I always like being the photographer! Although I rarely get that role.

Joel

This is how the big boys do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UpYFYjnOi6E&app=desktop   

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UpYFYjnOi6E

Rolling Schooner Huron Jewel

Watch as we roll over the hull of Schooner Huron Jewel, a 75 foot schooner being built by Drummond Island Tall Ship Company. Designed by Capt. Hugh Covert. F...

YOUTUBE.COM

Thank you all for the responses.  Dave's sling is probably the way I would go. The "big boys" rolling that schooner hull was an amazing piece of engineering, and all done without power equipment, just slings, jacks, block and tackle stuff.  Thanks again!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.