NE Dory Fiberglass repair advice

I am in the process of refinishing my NE Dory after dragging it up and down beaches along the Inside Passage last summer.  I just finished sanding the paint and primer off.  I am down to the epoxy coat in most places (and down to bare wood in a few spots--oops).

The bottom of the boat, specifically up near the bow, took a lot of damage  (see photos in link below).  I am seeking advice for what to do about it: repair? replace? repair and add dynel?  I do not anticipate using this boat heavily in the future--I recently finished an Expedition Wherry.

My next step is to sand the gouges in the wood and fill them with thickened epoxy.  Not sure what to do about the fiberglass, though.

Thanks!

https://goo.gl/photos/FigL6WhaJudpss8y8

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Fiberglass repair advice

���Blake, I am Blake, I built a NE Dory and a Guillimot kayak. I will be coming thru Missoula on monday May 22 In the afternoon and we could look at your damage to the wood. I have repaired my kayak bow... Call or text me at 509 979 3021 Bob

That damage doesn't look too awful to me . I beach launch my dory and scratched the hull some , too. I bought some carbon fiber tape and plan to goop it down nice and fare in the impact areas and then paint the hull  high gloss black and the heck with it. It is more work than I wanted but it can't be avoided. Since it involved sanding I put it off for two weeks and have missed some good sailing .

Hi,

I'm dealing with similar problem. The bottom fiberglass near the bow is shaved to bare wood from beaching and hitting rocks. Is it possible to apply fiber glass on fiber glass after cleaning the area from paint or does it have to fiberglass on bare wood?

PJ

The repair will be easy enough.  Sand down to bare epoxy and/or wood and recoat with glass/epoxy as needed.  To reduce future damage, you could cover the area with dynel cloth and coat with graphite/epoxy mixture (kit sold by CLC).  Here is a pict of this type rubstrip on three of my kayaks.

Another option is a product called Keeleazy.  It is a plastic tape available in many sizes that is easy to apply (or remove) with a heat gun.  I used it on the bow/stern of my wife's Frej and on the shear of my Wahoo (to protect from paddle strikes when racing).  I like the product a lot but it is hard to get it to conform to very sharp 3D bends like the bow of the Frej.  It should do well on the bow of a Dory.    

Thanks folks!  I appreciate the input!  

I put a piece of 1/2 round SS along the length of the skeg. With that and the graphite epoxy bottom the tear down on dragging is very minimal. I screwed the SS every 8-10" with 3 along the curve. My hull is Brightsides gloss black so the graphite bottom blends in. Not to mention I added Dynel cloth on the bottom during the first glassing. You may not want to add any glass cloth now, but the SS strip is really easy and saves the skeg.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.