Scarfing dimensional lumber for strips?

I am assembling materials to start an 18' stripped canoe. Living on the east availability is much greater for shorter lengths of cedar. I have picked up 4- 10' lengths of clear white cedar. Is it ok to scarf the lumber into 2-20' sections and then mill the strips?

I see a lot of information on scarfing already cut strips but didn't know if it was ok to scarf the lumber first and then cut strips out of it. Are there any potential problems with this?

Thanks,

Nick

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Scarfing dimensional lumber for strips?

My major concern would be the orientation of the completed scarfs once the scarfed planks are ripped into strips.

Typically you want scarfs across the wide dimension; scarfing planks then ripping them into strips puts the scarfs diagonal across the wide dimension once strips are placed.

I don't think this wouldn't work but the diagonal scarf might not be as smooth in bending compard to those more typically oriented. Obviously a lot more work to scarf ripped strips but I think worth the effort.

RE: Scarfing dimensional lumber for strips?

IMO- not worth the trouble.  I rip my own strips, and without huge outfeed tables, autofeed rollers, and an extra set of hands, I shudder to think of dealing with 20' lumber. Butt joints are just fine in my estimation.

Consider, too- while full length strips are nice, this isn't what you'll achieve, visually. All of your scarfed joints will (roughly) align and stand out far more than random or (at least) staggered joints. Of course that's assuming a bright finish. 

Good luck,

Patrick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.