Stainless steel shim washers on hatch toggles

I built a Shearwater 17 in Annapolis last fall.   After varnishing the deck and installing the wooden hatch toggles I notice that they have a tendency to stick to the varnished deck.

I found some very thin stainless steel shim washers that fit perfectly under the toggles and provide a very smooth movement of the hatch toggles (7/8" OD, 3/16" ID, 0.38mm thick).

They make thinner versions, but the 0.38mm is all they had in stock at the time so I bought 50 of them (for the next few boats I'm gonna build, of course).  It ended up being $0.50 each, but it was a small order.  They probably usually ship by the 100s or 1000s.

I was curious if it had been tried before, and if anyone would know of any downsides to using ss washers between the toggles and the varnished deck?  I can post additional info if anybody wants

-peter

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Stainless steel shim washers on hatch toggles

Peter,

Two concerns come to mind - 1. Is the steel going to wear through the deck varnish (and possibly the glass and epoxy)? and 2. Steel and wood expand/contract at different rates when heated/cooled. Will the washer just pop off?

Let us know how it works out, if these are real concerns or no problem.

Good luck,

Laszlo

The varnish was already wearing off on the deck from the toggles sticking to the varnish.  That's why I decided to use something in between the deck and toggle that would be less likely to stick. 

When I rotate the toggles the washers don't rotate with the toggles.  The washers stay still, and all the friction occurs between toggle and the washer.   So far it seems much smoother than before.  I'll keep you posted.

-peter

I am a big fan of the Delrin Hatch Toggles that CLC sells.  They are low friction with the kayak deck and they look nice with all the other black deck rigging.

I use small stainless washers under all my wooden toggles to keep them off the deck. Never been a problem and they rotate easier.

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.