2017 Oxford Kit Questions

1. Is the Sheer Clamp intended to be installed with a 1/4" over hang or rise over the side panel of the Oxford shell (for later plaining for the deck angle)?

2. Should there be fiberglass tape on the 'vertical' fillets where the bow side panels meet and stern side panels meet?

3. When installing the skeg do I cut through the existing previously created fillet?

4. Is the Cockpit fiberglassed?

Thanks for thoughts!

Rich

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: 2017 Oxford Kit Questions

Rich,

1. No - the side panels are flush with the tops of the sheer clamp. The shear clamps will have a slight angle to them once the hull is completed which will need to be planned at the right point in the process. You will know what I mean once you are at that point.

2.  Not sure if I follow your question . There should be a horizontal fillet of thickened epoxy on the seam where the panels meet. Then taped with 4" glass tape when the fillet is still wet. You would wet out the tape with unthickened epoxy before the fillet sets up.

3. I'm in the process of doing that now. Yes, you need to cut through the fillet to install the skeg holder. From the plans, 44" from the stern of the keel puts the cutout just into the puzzle joint of the bottom panels.

4. The instructions are not clear here but I intend of glassing the cockpit with 2oz glass for a little structural strength. I don't think glassing the cockpit is needed but I'll do it anyway for peace of mind.

Hope this helps. I'm sure there are others with better experience than I have with these shells that can give you more information.

Regards,

Guy

Thanks for the reply Guy!  

How did you cut through the fillet? thanks for the measuremnt and mentioning the puzzle joints. Now that's it's warmed up in Minnesota I can make some progress.

PS  I got this reply from John at CLC.

1. No, the sheer clamp should be glued on flush with the side panel on
the Oxford Shell.

2. I don't believe so. That would add strength, but unless you plan to
use the boat abusively I don't think it needs it.

3. Yes.

4. Only fiberglass tape on the seams.

I haven't yet and intend on using a trim router with a straight bit freehand. Will tape off the cutout and leave the line after routering then use a razor knife to finish and clean up the edge with a little sanding to smooth it out.

The plywood(4mm) and glass are pretty thin on the bottom so it shouldn't be a hard cut with a carbide router bit then razor knife. You could do it with a jigsaw but the cut would be somewhat rough.

Regards,

Guy

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.