NE Dory Epoxy Challenges

Used crappy hardware store foam brushes to epoxy inside/outside of NE Dory. Result is sorta orange peely. (Yes, I did learn my lesson.) When I sand it for prepaint, surface is whitish with lots of little shiny concavities. I’ve been sanding and scraping like crazy to get a uniform sanded surface.

Question #1: Is this necessary or will the Interlux primer fill and stick to the little shinies.

In sanding, I’ve also been encountering some bumps, lumps and holes in the epoxy filling the gaps between the strakes. Tried a Dremel but it was too hard to control. Now that I’ve I got the scrapers nicely sharpened, I’m able to do a pretty good job of smoothing things out.

But…

In both operations listed above, I sanded or scraped through the epoxy in quite a few small spots.

Question #2: Any choice other than to recoat all the bare spots x3 coats, then prepaint sand again.

Thought for sure I’d be priming by now. Ah well…

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Epoxy Challenges

On #2 your goal is to have a boat completely encapsulated in epoxy. The number of coats needed is up to you.

RE: NE Dory Epoxy Challenges

>>>>When I sand it for prepaint, surface is whitish with lots of little shiny concavities. I’ve been sanding and scraping like crazy to get a uniform sanded surface>>>>>

If the little craters are quite shallow, I've never had trouble getting the primer to stick in those.

If the craters are deep, you might ponder another coat of epoxy to fill thelow spots so that when you sand you end up with a flush surface. 

Surfaces to be varnished will show the little pits.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.