More epoxy to fill the weave ok?

My Eastport Pram manual says to cover the boat in 2 coats of epoxy and that the fiberglass weave should be completely filled on the bottom of the boat and inside bottom as well.  That's all it says.

I'm finding that both fiberglass coated surfaces are requiring at least 4 and possibly 5 coats with a roller to completely fill the weave.  Is this normal?  Should I be looking at another means of applying the epoxy or do I just need to be patient and keep coating?

I'm just a little concerned about over coating and adding weight to the boat.

Thanks.

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: More epoxy to fill the weave ok?

I'd do what it takes to fill the weave & not worry too much about the weight. More thinner coats seems to be the way to go.

Frank

Not to worry. You're actually doing it the best way possible. Many thin coats are much better than a few thick ones.  You use less epoxy and have fewer chances of drips. You also end up with less sanding.

FWIW, I normally use 5 or more coats to fill the weave.

Have fun,

Laszlo

tl;dr check you haven't already filled the weave and you're not just copying the pattern.

Please see CLC's article Filling the Weave wherein, it is written: 'With the third and subsequent coats the fabric has been filled but the weave-pattern "prints through" onto the surface of the fiberglass sheathing. (We recommend a light sanding after the second coat to knock off the tops of the "weave pattern.")'

With the latter being very careful not to cut into the fibreglass itself.

I've been following this plan. Today I put on a fourth very thin coat of MAS on the NE Dory outer hull and it's looking good. The MAS coat usage has been something like 32, 30, 28, 26 squirts per coat. That's pairs of squirts. I'm trying to keep the weight (aka epoxy use) at a minimum because a) it costs money, and b) I'm hoping to cartop the dory.

You may not want to fill the weave completely on parts on the interior. The weave can provide some traction for bare feet.

Here's a few shots of the epoxy job I described above. It's the last coat of epoxy before the primer goes on. Not sure if I need another sand. Guess it couldn't hurt. 

Any thoughts from anyone who's done this before? 

Can anyone guess what the chart's of?

Looks ready for the last sanding with #220 before the primer goes on.   Remember, any bump you can see or feel right now will still be there after the primer and paint get put on. Primer only fills the pinholes. If you want it really smooth, use a fairing board.

Laszlo

sorry to be a dunce/newbie, but what is a fairing board?

A long narrow thin board, somewhat flexible, with handles on top and sandpaper on the bottom.  You hold it sort of like a plane, one handle in each hand, and sand your boat with it. The length and flexibility make it ride over holes instead of falling into them. It averages out the irregularities and produces a fair surface that is smooth over a larger scale than the surface produced by a smaller sander.

You can make one from a piece of 1/4" plywood about 2" wide and 2 to 3 feet long depending on how long your arms are. Use 1/2" dowels for the handles and glue #220 sandpaper to the bottom. Use the kind that comes in rolls with the peel and stick backing.

Happy sanding,

Laszlo

A long narrow thin board, somewhat flexible, with handles on top and sandpaper on the bottom.  You hold it sort of like a plane, one handle in each hand, and sand your boat with it. The length and flexibility make it ride over holes instead of falling into them. It averages out the irregularities and produces a fair surface that is smooth over a larger scale than the surface produced by a smaller sander.

You can make one from a piece of 1/4" plywood about 2" wide and 2 to 3 feet long depending on how long your arms are. Use 1/2" dowels for the handles and glue #220 sandpaper to the bottom. Use the kind that comes in rolls with the peel and stick backing.

Happy sanding,

Laszlo

John,

The chart is  Lac St. Louis on the Saint Lawrence River. The island is Ile Perrot, all upriver from Montreal. 

Laszlo

Correct! ... and where my dory will splash down, eventually.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.