Building oars

My winter project (now stretching into my spring project) has been to build a set of oars. Having finished the prototype, I'm posting some pictures in a Google album for comments. These are curved blade (bent lamination) hollow shaft oars. I think the prototype looks pretty good -- but comments are welcome.

Here's the album.

Dave M.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Building oars

Oh yeah -- these are for a Northeaster Dory. 

Honestly I liked the 8' oars, but since I had a cracked spacer block and needed to do the tear down, I added the risers and I had a fascination for Shaw & Tenney spoons. When sailing I will use the 8' regular blades. I'm using the longer oars for solo rowing. At your height I don't think you need risers or 8'6" oars. Rower over 6'2" may be like me. I have 36" arm length and 35" inseam. I also placed the oarlocks aft an additional 2" in my original build. My novice and shorter partners just have to reach a little more. But they don't notice it because to them it is all new. BTW, great job on the prototype, I wish I could do that.

Very nice. Should work well. Make sure to post the final ones.

George

"That's a nice set of oars you got there".

"Them ain't 'ores, them's me wife and daughter".

I used to make trick waterskis is a somewhat similar fashion back in the distant past. Your oars are a lot prettier than my skis were. Kudos.

I have made two sets of oars and have been using them for over a year. My blades are a similar macon shape that I designed, and they are laminated like yours. My shafts are solid pine in a D shape for use with sculling oar locks. One pair is 9.5' long the other are 8.5'(wife's). I also made a slid seat setup for our NEDory, so we both slide seat tandem row, or I can row as a single. The blades are attached with a simple glue joint. The oars work great and look good.  I am not skilled enough to post pictures on this site but can send some if you give me a email address.  

Ews --

I'd love to see some pictures. Here's my email: [email protected].

Btw -- if you have an online photo album -- it's not that hard to link to it using the link tool above.

Dave M.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.