Reef Points

As I wait out the State of Idaho, I have a question about Reef Points and how they are used. I understand the concept, less Square footage of sail = basically less horse power. It is the practical application that I am a little fuzzy on. I noticed as I was rigging my sail to the boom (NE Dory Lug) that the reef points have grommets on each end. So to reef my sail I need to,

Lower the yard

Tie off the reef points along the length of the boom

Attach new outhauls to the reef point grommets? Or am I supposed to remove the outhauls from the main grommets and reattach them to the reef point grommets? Either way I think I will need to get some smaller diameter line to tie off my outhauls. The stuff CLC sent barely fits through the grommets. Changing that tie point will be a bugger!  

Raise the yard.

Any and all help is always appreciated!

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Reef Points

Can't help you on the specifics but there is a pretty good picture of a reefed NE Lug-sailed Dory in the NE Dory Main Gallery of images. Its #27 of 132. You might, at least, get a better idea of what goes where on a properly reefed lug sail by viewing it.

I do think the steps you listed for reefing the sail are probably correct. Many sails have pre-installed lengths of line through the reef points & outhauls that you use rather than removing any lines (like the outhaul) & re-running them. Many stay on the sail full-time although some folks run them only when they expect to be sailing in windier conditions. As an example, I don't usually run the reef point lines on my 27' sloop-rigged sailboat unless I think I will need them. There are permanent reefing gromets along the luff (near the mast) & reefing lines at the clew (near the outhaul), though, which allow me to reef the sail in a hurry if needed & then run the reef points once the sail is under control.

HTH,

Frank

Frank

I Thanks for the response! I went and checked that picture out. I sure wish I could zoom in on it a bit. But I think I can see well enough to figure this out. Thanks again for your help.

Mike

Generally, you should tie the clew and tack reef grommets (known as cringles) down first, then neaten up the floppy part of the reef, known as the "bunt" with the reef lines in the reef points.  There's a number of different ways to do it, but I've been working to get mine on my Skerry so I can do it on the water with minimal fuss.  I'm still working on it, but this thread last year:

http://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/34853.html

has some of my deliberations and some pix of my 2nd iteration, which works ok.  It's similary to "jiffy" or "slab" reefing on a larger boat.

One step that no one has mentioned is the first one - round up into the wind. It's totally obvious as soon as it's mentioned, but still worth a mention to someone who's new to reefing.

Mike, here's a large-ish picture of my Fearing Cruiser's balanced lug rig with both lines of reefs in, running before the wind back to the dock. You can see the reef points tied to the boom with reef knots.

The clew and tack cringles were rigged to have a jiffy reefing line each that hangs loose when the sail is unreefed. The lines are secured at each end of the boom, go up through the cringles, back down to a fairlead on the boom and forward to a cleat on the boom. Reefing is simply a matter of  pulling each line toward the mast and cleating it, then tying the reef knots in the sail ties.

Laszlo

I love learning all the new terminology! So grommets are cringles, OK. I looked up “Jiffy Reef” and I see what you are talking about. I will be implementing that on my Dory.The pictures I see are using a cleat to attach the line for the jiffy rig. Do you think a Jam cleat would be strong enough? Or should I stick with a wrap type cleat.

I also need to find a good diagram on making Lazy Jacks. I can see the wisdom of that setup as well!   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.