Anyone use cockpit covers during transport?

Hi folks,

I've been on this forum for several months now, and have learned quite a lot from all of you - thanks! I think I've only posted here once before, mainly because I've been too busy building (and maintaining my other jobs) to spend much time on the computer. Anyway, I started building a Shearwater Sport hybrid back in November, and then in Feb. of this year, I started a Shearwater 16 hybrid for my SO. The SS is now paddle ready, and the 16 is nearing that point. I'm trying to have them both ready for a trip to the coast the first full week of May.

I've ordered a cockpit cover from CLC for the sport, and it fits well, and snug. I'm about to order one for the 16. My question is: have any of you used these covers while transporting your boats on the highway, and do they stay put? CLC's info seems to indicate that they use them for car topping, but the person I talked to on the phone indicated that they do not. It's not a huge deal for me either way, but I'd rather not lose one on the interstate. I'll be trailering these upright, if that makes a difference. The covers seem like they would stay in place, but I'm hoping someone has experience to confirm (or deny). Thanks!

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Anyone use cockpit covers during transport?

I take my covers off when driving but put them back on when parked overnight.  Like you, I am afraid of losing them at speed.  Because of the raised foredeck and coming lip, you will find that very little water gets into the cockpit at highway speeds.  I have driven through numerous heavy thunderstorms here in FL and had very little water to bail out.  This is true for transport both on top the truck or on my kayak trailer.  It is when you are stopped or driving slow that water accumulates.  If the cover is tight, like the boat on the right (my wife's Frej), it will do a good job of keeping water out if it rains overnight.  The one on my Petrel Play is pretty loose and does not do as well.  One lesson learned is to keep your pump readily available.  Lots faster than bailing!      

Thanks Mark, that is what I was looking for! I'll just plan on using them for overnight and storage.    

���My cover blew off my Wood Duck when I was driving across Canada and I lost my foam seat which was not glued down yet. Luckily the cover was snapped onto the deck cords. Now I make sure the cover is attached and lash it down with bungy cords.

I always use the cover on my WD12 while driving with the boat on top of my truck. Never had any problems with it trying to come loose. It's currently 9 years old.

Laszlo

Plenty of stories about covers coming off, fewer ones about them staying on!  I have trailered boats for longer than I can remember and after losing a few, I stopped trailering with them on.  I live in Florida a state with probably one of the highest boat ownership in the union, and I would bet dollars to donuts 99% of the boats of all sizes being trailered on our roads are without the cover.  

I have gone back and forth from NY State to Florida half a dozen times with a Petrel and a plastic boat.  I put the cover on, then use shrink wrap at three points of the cover, forward and back edges and the center.  I do the hatches on the Petrel also.  I then use either packing tape or house wrap tape over the shrink wrap.  Works well. I couldn't imagine being stuck in traffic, in a severe rain storm worrying about them filling up while on the roof racks on my truck.

I travel with the cover on. I typically put a strap through the loop handle of the cover to make sure it does not fly off. I lost my foam seat when I drove without a cover.

I use a cover that has a clip at the front that attaches to the deck bungies infront of the cockpit and also has a webbing strap that goes around the kayak.  It has not come loose while, but even if it came off the cockpit rim, the webbing strap and clipwould keep it from flying off/

I used neoprene cockpit covers on our boats while transporting them 1500 miles. I did put a tether on the strap to the kayak for insurance but it was never a problem.

I use Seals Cockpit covers with the snap shackle  on the tab to the lines and the strap that goes around the hull. Nothing blows out and the strap keeps it from "woomping" down the road.  It keeps things in the cockpit and critters out.  It stays on the kayak when traveling. Taking it off when stopped is unnecessary and a bother. 

When paddling  I use it at long stops, ie lunch, too.    

Seals covers like this...................https://www.rei.com/product/802434/seals-cockpit-seal-52?CAWELAID=&cm_mmc=PLA_bng|404_54932||none|a7824dd9-e0e7-42ec-ab9b-8222e9066f99|kwd-4585375804724388&gclid=

To follow up, I made the 200+ mile trip to the coast a week ago, with cockpit covers in place, and had no issues. I did run one of the straps through the loop on the front of the cover, and ran shrink wrap around near the cockpit center, but from what I could tell, neither would have been necessary. Still, cheap insurane against losing a cover, or worse, a seat!   

Here is a way we haul boats for the shuttle. We sometimes meet at the take out. Leave a truck and trailer. Then load the boat (s) onto another truck and trailer and take to the put in. This way the PFD, skirt, shoes, deck bag, spare paddle, etc is in the cockpit under the cover with the single piece paddle on top.  If just normal transport the paddle would be in the truck.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.