PM TAP CARRIEGE BOLT HELP

I am planing to drill oversized holes, fill then drill for the carriage bolts to go thru the wood portions of the bulkheads.

I am trying to think of the best way to do the following.

The carriage bolt head by rails would just tighten into the wood.

Maybe a carriage bolt washer to distribute  the pressure?

Thinking of making small indentation and a copy of layers of epoxy too.

Where the bolt goes through wood I and thinking of a rubber coating for the threads to prevent wear against the epoxy and cut into wood.

Any ideas?

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: PM TAP CARRIEGE BOLT HELP

With the square shank portion under the head of a carriage bolt I'd suggest making up some fiberglass+epoxy 'washers' ahead of time.

Use a scrap piece of plywood with holes drilled in to take the threaded portion, cover with polyethylene sheet to keep epoxy from adhering.

Get some paste wax & liberally coat threads, square shank & head of a suitable bolt, then layer two or three (or more) pieces of 'glass with a small hole cut in each onto the bolt.

Add epoxy to each layer as you add them, run the rest of the threaded shaft into the board then finger-tighten a nut on the backside to compress the 'glass sandwiched on the other side.

Once epoxy's cured you can then adhere the prefabbed 'paddibg washer" where needed with filleting epoxy ('peanut butter'). You've created a square-holded reinforcing pad to keep the bolt's square shank from cutting into your bulkhead once everything's assembled.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.