Eastport Kit / Hole in Seat Next To Mast

Building sailing version of Eastport Pram from kit. I'm about to install seats & notice a small (1/2" maybe?) hole drilled next to the square hole for the mast.

Any idea what its for?

Thinking maybe a short line from mast through hole to keep it in the boat if its ever turtled?

Curious minds want to know!

Frank

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Eastport Kit / Hole in Seat Next To Mast

I do not have such a hole in mine. I use a small cleat to tie the mast down. 

For the halyard perhaps?

Ruud

Ruud,

I'll have a cleat on the mast for the halyard, also one for the boom downhaul. This is something else.

Mkcagle,

Is that a separate cleat & is it on the mast? If so, where is the other end secured.

That may very well be the purpose. Run a line with a stopper knot up through the hole & secure it to a cleat on the mast. Would certainly work well.

There's just no documentation on the hole. There are a few other things that differ from the docs but I was able to figure them out.

Thanks,

Frank

The Skerry has a similar hole. I have an older build manual and the newer PDF version. The old manual shows the hole as described above where a line is knotted below the hole and the line is brought up to be the downhaul. This allows for the mast to also be secured in case of capsize. The newer manual instead has the downhaul go to a cleat on the mast and doesn't use the hole. I asked John Harris about it last year and he didn't really have an opinion about one being better than the other. I hedged my bets and did both. I figured I would try and see what worked best. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.