Hydrofoil Dory?

This got me curious:

https://www.facebook.com/bestofsailing/videos/1337434209628280/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Has anyone ever thought of, or experimented with, putting hydrofoils on a CLC boat?  I recognize all the factors working against this idea, just curious.

Also, even if it would be nearly impossible to have enough mid ship foil and wind power to lift a dory, what about a slighly foiled rudder to provide some (but now a lot I realize) rear end lift.  Many seating configurations for two people tend to make a NE Dory bow-high from the water line, so any lift that could be provided by a foiling rudder might help couldnt hurt to get the dory to more level to the water line.  Funny thins is I saw a foiled rudder at last fall's Plywooden boat festival in Port Aransas..I never did get to ask the builder if it was intended as a step or a foil.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pF_Sofb4JcvZtLvL4Ik5xzShaamBnvTJGs1srGY-1fE8gHWza9zdTQ7ndcFqedqy5nFqys1hjuXRdIb07QFOgdYItEvKrjUijOf0uNrlF4A4EAHoVVZcLwCj8IBBI-2BuPMWgrJdnPFUMY2R4eASH-2_2OrDIdbX8dxweSXa7mAHImTwzOV3drshipr4LY2Nj4eAiCUSYSIzGYBMD7y3TFgJhdoB0BPD0TEmweIfEK_8P1PxXBVo_6iwQyrNwOQ4Ki81AWMq-OCtaX86KlnNXI5eDlx-c4NQTtv-jeCei5I0yBDep7Nr_u1u4AoMwzkMuP8BOXJ0IXlC75D1eVYTpbYuqDmIH9unVgVO84GCLpNaUj-94eVJa_AF0bM1eI6XbR_vG7wutBCATwrQZnoJU29NUrnvNyjmc6zbCb49h9GUVfRXLj6k3urJdlo_xIjJ8eMEh_94LWgv5qqk6M7kOHf4Ed-x1VoinYqOzk_WV4UR0zXJrOX41wvXuKnEO1k03ZXwVEkfuGYpV9jr5E1ksBd7BzJuBP8plUmrVgwN5Au-a4UFuwUonHFDWtMTSp-7GlJ4ZZl_ZQb_lLL4gLdeTK5Y4jwrZ3qGdPx1nmdKX5w4GqTs5OrQ5g=w479-h638-no

Curt Dennis [email protected]

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Hydrofoil Dory?

Hydrofoil dory is a neat idea -- and possible plausible. The hull is light enough to lift easily. 

I've been sailing my lug-rigged dory hard and have gotten it up to more than twice hull speed (hitting 13 mph). I'm confident it will go even faster, but the wetted surface area is a limiting factor. I try to get my weight as far aft as possible on a reach and even so I can't get the bow out of the water. A foil on the rudder would seem to be counterproductive as it would push the bow down. A couple of foils up by the mast might do the trick. . . . But what do I know? Just guessing.

Birch2,

I had the opportunity to have another dory sailor watch my dory under sail.  I have red bottom paint up to the water line with off white hull so it is easy to see the foreward/aft tilt of the boat under sail.  Even with just me in middle seat the other dory sailor told me my bow rode a couple inches high and with my wife in the stern seat the bow rode even higher.  Mine is a lug rig and the other dory was a sloop rig but both of them rode bow-high and our conclusion was with 2 people in the boat that we needed to use the foreward and middle seat, not the middle and aft.  When sailing alone using the middle seat I tried putting 6 milk jugs filled with water in the bow and that did flatten it out a little.  The other dory sailor and I did find out that the more you can get the bow down to nearly a flat water line so the stern doesnt squat, the better the boat comes around in the wind.

Your thoughts?

Curt

���Fascinating. Perhaps the bow rides high because the boat is trying to climb over the bow wave. That's what happens with a motor boat. Does the boat flatten out at high side? 10 mph or so?

���Meant to type "high speed"

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.