Using brad nails on NE Dory project

I assembled my hull at the GLBBS and instructors there used plastic staples in an electric staple gun to tack pieces together while epoxying and clamping.  I cannot find plastic staples online so wonder why I could not use 3/8" brad nails to secure the rudder and dagger board pieces while clamping.  Good solution or dumb idea?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Using brad nails on NE Dory project

Took me one Googling to find plastic staples so I don't understand why you'd have a problem finding them.... You need links, let me know!

As for 3/8" brads? I can't imagine trying to use anything that short while also trying not to whang my fingers with the hammer.

Did the plastic-staple guys pull them later, after the epoxy cured? I don't know whether something like Arrow's T-50 9/16" metal staples wouldn't work - unless they'd have a tendency to split the plywood - but they'd have to be easier to place (with a T-50 staple gun, either manual or electric) than those short short brads!

If you use plastic  staples, you may need to buy speial staple gun. The advantage of using plastic staples is that they do not rust or discolor and bleed with time or if exposed to moisture.

Plastic nails also do not rust. I would use ring shank nails. You may need to have some substantial structure behind the mail to grip the shank o fhe nail.

Thank you for your advice................

I used copper brads, they worked well and do not have to worry about them rusting.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.