Plastic deck plate access attachment help.

On my passagemaker I will install one white deck deck on top of forward seat and one on a bulkhead.

Each takes 6 screws.

I understand how to caulk but when you put these screws into the wood how do you do that. Supposedly it will be a watertight comparment but read various messages about pinholes in the expoxy create rot from moisture and about not embedding screws with caulking.

Do I drill and fill the small srews, seems tedious.

This is what CLC says to use for screws

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/new/8-pan-head-stainless-steel-wood-screw.html

Thanks

Anthony

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Plastic deck plate access attachment help.

Yes, you drill & fill.

If you're trying to avoid tedium, boy did you pick the wrong hobby!  Wait til you get to sanding and finishing.

Seriously, what's the problem? You drill 12 holes (6 for each plate). That should take about 5 minutes. You have to drill those holes whether you fill or not.

To fill them, put a piece of clear packing tape on the underside of each hole - 20 seconds per hole. Mix up 1 1/2 ounces of epoxy and fill each hole. Just pour some in, let it settle while you fill the other holes, pop any bubbles with a toothpick and maybe do it again - another 15 minutes or less. You're done til tomorrow.

Next day, or later, pull off the tape from the bottom and drill again - 5 minutes.

So all the tedium is less than 1/2 hour over 2 days.

If that still seems like too much work, you can use silicone RTV compound. Just drill the hole, dip the screw in the compound and screw it in. It'll take longer than epoxy to fully cure, but eventually it'll be just as watertight.

Either way, try and get into the spirit of the thing and think of it as an accomplishment on the path to a beautiful custom boat. You'll start to actually enjoy the process.

Laszlo

Laslzo you comments are well accepted!

You are totally correct about this being a good hobby. The reason I am doing this is to relax and learn someting new "and get away from my pressure cooker of a job"

I will come back to you with my patient progess and I am sure with more questions.

I use 5200 on the screws.  It can be a bear to remove but it holds well and water doesn't affect it.     

When you drill-n-fill, how oversized do you drill the first hole? The idea is to get your screw totally secured in the epoxy patch & not with any contact to the wood, right?

How about when you want to drill-n-fill, say, holes for the u-bolt that the towline attaches to at the bow? Or when rebedding then re-attaching a winch? Would you drill a bigger hole in that case?

Frank

Half again the shank diameter works for me.

Laszlo

"Half again the shank diameter works for me." - Laszlo

Sounds right to me.

Thanks Laszlo!

Frank

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.