Marine Vanish on Tiller Extention

I need to put a finish on my tiller extention but I have a small concern. I have rarely used a Marine grade varnish before this project. But I have used LOTS of polyurethane over the years. And one thing I keep running into with Poly is if it is in a location where it receives skin contact. The oils from your skin will soften the poly over time. I usually go with an oil or wax type coating for something that is going to be handled often. Has anyone noted this with the Marine Varnish? Oils and Wax’s don’t offer much in the way of UV protection, although Teak oil does have UV blockers. My tiller extention will be stored indoors.  It will only see the light of day when the boat is in active use, so I am not too concerned about UV. My impulse is to go with a Boiled Linseed oil or maybe Teak oil for the tiller extention.

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Marine Vanish on Tiller Extention

No sure why you need UV protection on a tiller extension. UV protection is to protect epoxy - i would not epoxy a tiller extention. Isn't it a solid peice of wood? I use tung oil on my kayak paddles and that works very well. Walnut oil (from the super market) is cheaper and does the same polmerizing. Linseed oil is simular, but can turn black over time. Just be careful with the rags! The danger of combustion is real as the oil polmerizes - wash them out and/or hang them to dry.

On my fiberglass racing sailboats I use PVC tubing as tiller extensions. Works great, but would not look at home on a beautiful, hand crafted woodboat.

Joel

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.