NE Dory build: when to add sailing rig components?

In my NE Dory build I'm at the point where I've epoxied the exterior hull seams and I'm about to yank out the copper stitching and apply fillets and fiberglass to the interior.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can be doing to make it easier to install the lug rig later. I guess the procedure is to add the daggerboard trunk and mast step after epoxying the interior, but before painting / varnishing the hull. 

Any experienced builders have any thoughts on that? 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory build: when to add sailing rig components?

You are right about the sequence. The only thing that occurs to me is that you should get to work on your daggerboard trunk, mast, spars, and oars as early as possibly. They all take time. The mast and spars involve major woodworking -- as do the oars if you decide to make your own. The daggerboard trunk is vitally important. You get one shot to seal the inside correctly. And fitting it onto the boat was quite nerve-racking (to me). Take your time and think through each step. And enjoy building! 

If I were building mine again I would mark a light line down the center line of bottom panel. All the way on exterior, just the section from bow to second bulkhead on interior. It'll go a long way to help you line up mast step, trunk, skeg and rudder. Once you get everything built up there are long distances to span in getting the line down. On the outside panel a line will only be seen if you flip the boat. The interior is usually covered with mud and gear so you won't see that one either!

I second both Silver Salt and Birch2.  They are both right on the money.  The only thing I might add is not to put the horse before the cart.  You have massive amounts of sanding and finishing to do yet, inside and out.  Cluttering the interior with the daggerboard trunk or the mast step at this point, or in the near future, will just make those tasks more difficult.  There is a world of wisdom in Silver Salt's remarks about establishing a centerline.  Getting the rudder, the skeg, the daggerboard trunk, and the mast all properly aligned is much harder than it might otherwise seem.  And there is much more work in the sailing parts than meets the eye.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.