Ch 17 bulkhead/deck clearance

After many starts and stops I have pretty much planed my sheer clamps to the appropriate angles.  However, when I fit the bevel templates over the bulkheads there seems to be about 1/4 in clearance at the top of the aft bulkhead and almost 1/2 in across the top of the forward bulkhead.  This resulted perhaaps because by trying to minimize the space between the bottom of the bulkheads and the bottom panels I didnt leave the tops flush with the top of the side panels.  In any event, curiously (for me) when I take a piece of scrap - 6-8 inches wide - and bend it over the bulkhead from sheer clamp to sheer clamp, there is almost no clearance and it seems to make a very close fit - both on the bulkhead and the sheer clamps.  So the question is am I ok as is or do I need to add material on top of the bulkheads so the template fits tighter?  I can't quite figure out how I am getting the result I have but I don't want to obsess about it too much if the deck will fit well as is.  Thanks.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Ch 17 bulkhead/deck clearance

I built two Chesapeakes and the bulkhead fit was a little bit of a problem with both.  It really does not matter what you do as long as you get a good mechanical/water tight bond between the bulkhead and the deck.  For smaller gaps, you can just fill them with "peanut butter" when you filet.  You can fill the larger gaps that way too but it might be lighter/cheaper to use a bit of scrap plywood on top the bulkhed as you describe.  I would keep the plywood strip narrow so that it does not interfere with the filet.  One tio that may help is to run plastic packing tape along the seam on one side of the bulkhead.  This will prevent the peanut butter from ozzing through too much when you filet the other side.  Once the filet hardens a bit, remove the tape and filet the second side.

I built two Chesapeakes and the bulkhead fit was a little bit of a problem with both.  It really does not matter what you do as long as you get a good mechanical/water tight bond between the bulkhead and the deck.  For smaller gaps, you can just fill them with "peanut butter" when you filet.  You can fill the larger gaps that way too but it might be lighter/cheaper to use a bit of scrap plywood on top the bulkhed as you describe.  I would keep the plywood strip narrow so that it does not interfere with the filet.  One tio that may help is to run plastic packing tape along the seam on one side of the bulkhead.  This will prevent the peanut butter from ozzing through too much when you filet the other side.  Once the filet hardens a bit, remove the tape and filet the second side.

i would second mark's notes above.  i have built several CLC Chesapeakes and all of them had a gap similar to what you described.   

my favorite technique is also described by mark....tape the gap closed on one side with duct tape, then come from the other side and fillet.  when the fillet has hardened , pull the tape off that side side and fillet the unfillted side.

my only other recommendation, is before you put the deck on, seal the top of the bulkheads (the open plys) with unthickened epoxy.  while the thickened fillet should accomplish this, since the fillet is thickened....its not great for actually sealing/waterproofing the end grain of the wood.   unthickened epoxy will do this easily.

h

I think I added a piece sistered to the bulkhead to extend it to the template arc.  However I also got the deck curve a little higher than the hatch cover wanted so don't get carried away. The tape and filler might work better. Make it thick enough mix as to not drip all out.

Thanks for the suggestions but I must be having a bit of a brain freeze here.  I assume the packing tape approach with fillet is to be done before the deck goes on - otherwise the far forward and aft sides of the bulkheads wouldn't be reachable.  However, without the deck, what am I applying the fillet to - unless I use a piece of scrap on top of the bulkhead?  And, just out of curiosity, if I had a perfect fit would the fillet be superfluous?  Thanks again

You fillet the bulkhead/deck joint after you cut the hatch openings (p135 of the manual).  You are going to love doing the fillet on the front of the forward bulkhead through the small forward hatch.  Luckily, no one will ever see it.     

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.