Bureaucracy......ugg

I spent a good chunk of yesterday trying to find out what if anything I needed to do to register my new NE Dory in the State of Idaho. After checking several different vendors and trying fruitlessly to get a hold of the DMV. I found a helpful clerk at a local Sporting good store who informed me that since my Dory has no motor I don't need to register it. Just get the state issued invasive species sticker and I am good to go. Awesome one sticker applied and I thought I was done. She called back today, she decided to double-check with the state today. It turns out that Idaho consideres a sail a motor. So once I get my sail built I will have to register it.... ugg.

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bureaucracy......ugg

Mike,

Funny, in Massachusetts all I had to do to register my Peeler Skiff was to get the boat inspected and and a hull ID/title assigned. I paid sales tax on the kit price and then the annual registration fee and got to pick my own registration number. It was quick, easy, and the people were knowledgeable and pleasant, I thought Idaho was the land of the free.

Cheers,

Dick

Idaho has a lot going for it, I truly feel blessed to live here. No place is perfect and I think many will share my frustrations with local government offices. I really doubt that Idaho is unique in that. :)    

In PA, getting kayaks "registered" is simple- just pay your pound of flesh. Fine. But good luck getting a boat trailer inspected! Government website was useless and even AAA didn't know exactly what I needed to do. Had to track down the only licensed trailer inspection shop in my county (resulting in a ream of paperwork and numerous photos!) and a licensed weigh station, and even then AAA wasn't going to gaurantee that my paperwork would be approved! Ulitimately it cost me a week of running around and substantially more $$$ to license the trailer than what I paid for it (small HF trailer). As I understand it, a few states (Maine?) will send you a plate after filling out a form and paying your toll. A larger Trailex seems to be in my future, so I might investigate that route.

Patrick

I just found the Idaho Parks and Recreation information on boating. It has a list of requirements for registering and using your boat. I understand the need for PFD’s. Ok I can see the wisdom of a horn or a whistle. It also states a throw able seat cushion or ring…..ok. Than it says I must have a FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!  Why would a non-motorized boat need a fire extinguisher? I have no ignition sources on board, and I am on a lake! Water everywhere!!    

Suppose you're the first boat on the scene of a burning stinkpot that has exhausted their extinguisher. I know that it takes a certain amount of charity not to let a jetski burn to the waterline, but just say you managed to round up that much. It's be good to have a fire extinguisher.

Be safe,

Laszlo

Mike,

These are the basic small boat equipment requirements as specified by the U S Coast Guard. Most state regulations adhere to them as a minimum. The Coast Guard does not require fire extinguishers for motor boats under 26' without enclosed engine campartments or permanent fuel tanks --- definitely not for boats without motors at all. Unless you saw the requirement in writing, I'd guess you met an uninformed civil servent.

I carry a fire extinguisher on my Peeler Skiff because I want to, not because it's required. Of course, I do have an outboard , fuel tanks.

Fortunately, it'll all be worth it in the end.

Cheers,

Dick

Just make sure that it's a throw-able fire extinguisher!

Dave M.  

Ok Laszlo you got me with that one. I once had an engine fire in my prized 68 VW. 3 different strangers all pulled over with extinguishers and put my car out. OK I will get a Marine extinguisher   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.