NE Dory bulkheads and transom preparation

I've epoxied my bulkheads and transom with their doublers. Being a noob, I neglected to clean up the "slag" (epoxy that was squeezed out of the "sandwich) and have been cleaning it up. Reading ahead in the manual I've realized most of this cleanup is unnecessary. In fact it might be better not to since I could damage the wood. I think the only place that needs to be clean and flush are the surfaces that join other surfaces, such as the top (with the thwarts) and bottom edge (joins the floor) . On the other hand, the edges of the doublers do not need the slag removed since they will be covered with fillet. Also, most of this will eventually be covered with flotation and thwarts, apart from the part of the bulkhead that rises above the thwarts, and most of the transom. 

Wanted to log this for posterity, but I do have questions:

1. Is it true that I can just apply the filleting to the slag?

2. Will I ever want to look at the bulkheads without the flotation? Not trying to cut corners but I don't want to spend time making something pretty if it'll be hidden forever.

3. Is now a good time to trace the bulkheads' shape for the flotation, before stitching them to the hull? They don't mention it in the manual. Is there a reason for doing that later?

4. Is now a good time to apply epoxy to the edges of the limber holes, otherwise that will be endgrain exposed to water pretty much anytime I'm out in the boat? Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory bulkheads and transom preparation

1. Is it true that I can just apply the filleting to the slag?

As long as your fillets are larger than the slag! Shouldn't be a problem at all. I have a few bits of copper wire forever entombed in mine!

2. Will I ever want to look at the bulkheads without the flotation? Not trying to cut corners but I don't want to spend time making something pretty if it'll be hidden forever.

I don't see how you ever would. I painted mine so I really didn't care. But I still strived for a nice flat smooth surface. Even though they will never be seen behind the flotation panels

3. Is now a good time to trace the bulkheads' shape for the flotation, before stitching them to the hull? They don't mention it in the manual. Is there a reason for doing that later?

I sure wish I had thought of that. It would have been easier if I had done it that way!!

4. Is now a good time to apply epoxy to the edges of the limber holes, otherwise that will be endgrain exposed to water pretty much anytime I'm out in the boat? Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

I noticed that too. I used a gloved finger to epoxy up the limber holes. Only to find that when I was applying the 3 coats of interior epoxy they would have been coated then. Oh well my limer holes have 6 layer of epoxy, they ant getting wet!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.