Next Boat Build!

Hi all, I built CLC's NE Dory two years ago and loved every moment of it...  I also love sailing and exploring with her.  

I'm a woodworker/fabricator by trade, I have access to a few incredible shops, and I'm pretty handy.  That being said, I'd like to make another (bigger of course) boat.  I'm trying to figure out exactly what it'll be.  I'd like to make something in a traditional style like a Mackinac Boat, but that's just an idea.  

Where should I start if I want to get into learning another form (beyond stitch and glue) of boat building?  I'd like this build to really challenge me and make me learn new things like strip planking, clinker, or carvel.  Not really sure what the intensities are for each one.  

Can anyone point me in a direction to take my next build a little higher?   Recommendations on any books, videos, or other resources would be fantastic!  

Thanks

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Next Boat Build!

I would look at Ian Oughtred's designs.  They're all classically beautiful and there are numerous styles and sizes.  He's also a contemporary and many people are currently building his boats worldwide.

You might give Tom Hill's book 'Ultralight Boatbuilding' a once over if your interested in glued-lapstrke construction (my personal favorite method). It gives you the basics in short order without lots of side tracks on handy tools and jigs to make the job go easier or quicker (not that they are bad things). It was the recommended guide by Paul Fisher when I purchased his plans some years ago. Also another prolific designer along with Oughtred; and very accessible through his web site and builders forum.

thanks!!  

Depending on where you're located, and how much 'free' time (you can call your own) you might find some direction from one of the Woodenboat Schools' activities. The three I know of are in Maine, Michigan, and Seattle but if you simply Googlesearch <wooden boat school> you'll see there's more than just those.

Check out the Boat Plans page on duckworksmagazine.com.

George K

Bannockburn,

I also built a NE Dory two years ago.  This was my first boat and it was an excellent learning experience for me.  I built the Sloop rig version which suited my needs since I wanted to teach myself to sail with an eye towards sailing larger boats eventually.  After two years of using the NE Dory, my wife told me that we should look at getting into a larger boat so we could take the grandkids with us, have more space for camping, and handle rougher weather if needed.

I looked at many different designs and settled on Iain Oughtred’s Caledonia Yawl.  I was also very interested in the Sooty Tern, another sweet Nordic based design.  The Caledonia Yawl is larger but can be sailed single handed and be launched by one person.  I am currently in the build stage with the Caledonia Yawl and hope to have it sailing this Spring.  I find that building from plans is not too difficult after gaining experience from building the NE Dory.

As far as books…  I purchased Iain’s book “Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual”.  It is an excellent reference for any build project where you work from a set of plans.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.