NE Dory lug rig install

I am installing a lug rig on my dory as well as spaced inwales.  I've read and printed John's article about the mast partner thwart install.  His recommendation is to use 1/4" plywood spacers behind the redisigned thwart.    

I almost brought a slab of 1/4" home today but waited to get some feed back here.  Athough this "block" will be completely clad in epoxy, I wondered if stress could de-laminate home store variety plywood.  

To my question, should I find a special kind of 1/4" plywood for this project?  

Thanks for your suggestions.    Dave

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory lug rig install

Ummm... were I contemplating such a project I'd make every effort to obtain a piece of plywood equal in quality to what CLC provides for their kits.

Big box store ply is fine (carefully selected) for in-home projects but when your safety depends on it out on the water you don't want to be questioning whether a 'not quite up to it' material was worth the savings in time or money. 

I have several sheets of 6mm okoume 1088 sitting around; It wouldn't be at all difficult for me to epoxy two or three pieces of proper size together then UPS it to you. Other folks within a reasonable distance might have a piece that'd work.

Where are you?

I have a nagging suspicion that hobby grade plywood might not be up to the task.  I have a couple well stocked specialty supply houses in the neighborhood so I'll search for some okoume. Thank you spclark for the offer and the advice.  Dave

I used solid pine that I had lying around the shop. I ripped them a little over 1/4", ran them through the drum sander, applied thickened expoy to the 2 inside surfaces only and clamped them to the hull to achieve the correct curvature. Once cured, I cut them to length and scuplted the ends with a spindle sander. A dowel in the drill press w/sand paper attached works great. The curve is very slight but I can see where a solid piece of 3/4" stock could result in a flat spot on the hull.

Don

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.