NE Dory Question

My question has to do with the rowing and sailing configurations. Can you build it as a rower and convert to sailor, say, a year or two later?  Thanks.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Question

Yes you can!   

I'm not a dory expert by any means, but a quick glance at the drawings and it looks like the daggerboard case on the NE Dory is one of the most accessible in CLC's entire line.  This means that it would be much easier to retrofit than a design like the Passagemaker where the case is actually what supports the center thwart.  The mast step is also an easily added feature, so I think you're totally good to go.

With that being said, when building my Eastport Pram, all the sailing parts were made while I was waiting for the epoxy to cure at various stages of the main boat build.  That means making the sailboat parts have very little impact on the overall build time, proportionately.

I found it very frustrating to have three hours to work on the boat and after an hour I'm staring at wet epoxy that I can't touch anymore without messing it up.  I actually mapped out the build manual to take advantage of these periods to optimize my build.

Oh, one thing I ran into when building my EP, I made sure to locate the daggerboard case and cut the corresponding hole in the bottom of the boat before affixing the skeg.  This allowed me easy access with a router around the entire slot and also to make sure the skeg didn't interfere.

I’m getting close to finishing my NE Dory build. The manual is laid out exactly as you suggest. It is designed to be built as a row boat with the sailing gear added later. I am building mine to sail right up front, so I have already placed the Dagger board trunk and mast step. But I will be using mine as a row boat long before the sailing components are done.

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bowlin/NE%20Dory/story

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.